New Discussion юеВ

iLO console capture

SOLVED
Go to solution
rccmum
Super Advisor

iLO console capture

Hi,

I have a Proliant DL585 G1 server with iLO advanced version running RHEL. The RHEL console is currently setup to use VGA. I was wondering a way to capture the console log through iLO in situation where kernel panic or any other kernel messages in case of ASR or abrupt reboot might be captured.

I checked the iLO GUI remote console but it doesn't provide an option to capture the console screen.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
rccmum
Super Advisor

Re: iLO console capture

I have another question.

What is VSP and how is it useful?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

This document would be a good reference for what you are trying to setup

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00263709/c00263709.pdf
acartes
Honored Contributor

There were two questions:
1) can you capture the console in case of panic or ASR
2) what is VSP

Current versions of iLO 2 support a licensed feature called Console boot/fault capture as well as console capture and playback. With this feature properly configured, the boot/fault sequence is recorded by iLO and uploaded to your web server when the buffer is filled.

iLO starts a recording after the system is rebooted (the boot capture).
iLO ends an ongoing recording when the system is reset (panic or ASR).
The capture filenames include timestamp information.

Additionally, you can use the Integrated Remote Console to record during use (such as for training or capturing something of interest). The IRC is used to play back the captured video files (no codec at this time), and there is also a Windows-based stand-alone player for download.

The VSP, or Virtual Serial Port, allows you to connect to iLO using an SSH client, and from there access a host serial interface such as a TTY. This can provide access to the linux text console from the out-of-band management network. The VSP can also be used on Windows OS for remote kernel debug and for access to the EMS console.
rccmum
Super Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Does it mean iLO version 1 doesn't store console log let alone capturing it?

Maybe I need to put something else like console-server etc to capture the console log?
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

The video console capture function is supported by iLO 2, but not iLO.
rccmum
Super Advisor

Thanks for the replies. The solution was given above.