5943 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO does not boot from virtual media ISO file

ktk
Occasional Collector

iLO does not boot from virtual media ISO file

Hi,

I try booting from an ISO file which is on a http server in the same subnet of where the iLO hosts are.

I tried both the Web GUI and the commandline version, ISO is specified but it does not even try to access the webserver. On the CLI interface I tried this configuration:

/map1/oemhp_vm1/cddr1
  Targets
  Properties
    oemhp_image= http://192.168.123.1/debian-6.0.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso (Admin:This link is no longer valid:Broken Link removed)
    oemhp_connect=Yes
    oemhp_boot=Always
    oemhp_wp=Yes
    vm_applet=No

When I reset the system it tries booting from CD but there is no single request made on the webserver. I verifyed with apache log file and tcpdump. I do see arp-who-has from the iLO IP and I access the host from the same interface which runs the webserver so the physical connection seems to be fine.

I can get this URL with curl.

Do I miss something here? From what I could read in the manual this is supposed to work like this. If I get that correctly it should mount the virtual image directly to the CDRom boot without additional commands, correct?

Versions:

SM-CLP Version 1.0

/map1/firmware1
  Properties
    version=1.20

11 REPLIES 11
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Do you have the iLO advanced license?

Yes just checked again, "iLO 3 Advanced" it says for "License Type".

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

If you try mounting that same ISO from the iLO3 integrated remote console, does it work?

Yes that works, that's how I actually did it now to not loose time.

MD5 sum of the ISO is the same. I tried other ISOs as well, problem is really that iLO does not even try to fetch this file on the web server. I see no single packet to the http server specified in the same subnet.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Are you sure the netmask and gateway settings are correct in iLO? Use the oemhp_ping command from the CLI to verify iLO can access the web server

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ktk
Occasional Collector

Ping works, booting still does not.

ktk
Occasional Collector

Followup to that one, today I tried booting of 6 of 8 servers I have to set up right now, I could get the virtual media to work on one single machine, there it booted fine. On all the other machines it does not boot.

I really don't get it... iLO Version is the same everywhere, network setup as well.

Shyamal_Paneri

You can try the following

Connecting scripted media
You can connect scripted media from the Virtual Media page. Use the .NET IRC or Java IRC,
RIBCL/XML, or the iLO CLI to connect other types of Virtual Media. The Virtual Media page supports
the connection of 1.44 MB floppy images (.img) and CD/DVD-ROM images (.iso). The image
must be located on a web server on the same network as iLO.
To connect scripted media:
1. Navigate to the Virtual Media→Virtual Media page.
2. Enter the URL for the scripted media in the Scripted Media URL box in the Connect Virtual
Floppy (.img files) or Connect CD/DVD-ROM section (.iso files).
3. Select the Boot on Next Reset check box if the server should boot to this image only on the
next server reboot.
The image will be ejected automatically on the second server reboot so that the server does
not boot to this image twice.
If this check box is not selected, the image will remain connected until it is manually ejected,
and the server will boot to it on all subsequent server resets, if the system boot options are
configured accordingly.
NOTE: Using the iLO Virtual Floppy to boot a remote host server is supported only on Gen8
servers. It is not supported on Gen9 servers.
4. Click Insert Media.
5. Optional: To boot to the connected image now, click Server Reset to initiate a server reset.

Hope this helps - I am going to try on my setup .. Will let you know the results.

Shyamal_Paneri

I got it working had to do the following edits in the Windows 2008 R2 IIS server manager.

Configuring IIS
To configure IIS to serve diskette or ISO-9660 CD images for read-only access:
1. Add a directory to your website and place your images in the directory.
Using iLO Virtual Media 2312. Verify that IIS can access the MIME type for the files you are serving.
For example, if your diskette image files use the extension .img, you must add a MIME type
for that extension. Use the IIS Manager to access the Properties dialog box of your website.
On the HTTP Headers tab, click MIME Types to add MIME types.
HP recommends adding the following types:
.img application/octet-stream
.iso application/octet-stream
After you complete these steps, you should be able to navigate to the location of your images by
using a web browser, and then download the images to a client. If you can complete this step,
your web server is configured to serve read-only disk images.