108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO3 detecting Data ISO image as Audio CD

SOLVED
Go to solution
j_d_w
Visitor

iLO3 detecting Data ISO image as Audio CD

Have been struggling with this one for a while now so am resorting to the forums.

We have a perfectly good, bootable image of a DVD that we would like to use on our Blades mounted via the URL option.  All is well until you come to reference the mounted image from within WinPE because for some reason the disk is thought to be an audio cd and the only data listed is a single file called Track00.cda, weighing in at 44bytes (this is an image that is in excess of 3.5GB).

If you use the same image mounted via the "Image File" option then it is fine and behaves as expected, the WinPE element boots just the same but if you then navigate to the drive letter assigned to the virtual DVD drive it shows the contents of the image.

I have created a cut-down, minimal WinPE instance to see if it was a matter of sizing but even this super-slim version behaves the same way - WinPE boots but going to the DVD drive just returns the Track00.cda listing.

Searching around for a crumb of hope I have only seen comments relating to physical hardware being at fault (cables, drives) and this is almost entirely within desktop environments.  The iLO can obviously read the image initally because it is booting from it without an issue but it is only when it comes to reading the disk/image once in the WinPE environment that it seems to falter.  However this is not an issue if the image has been mounted through the "Image File" option.

What is the difference between the two methods of mounting that would cause this disparity in behaviour?  Interestingly (and possibly more annoyingly), if you disconnect and reconnect the ISO a number of times then it will eventually fall in to line.  The smallest number of re-attempts is 6 before successfully getting things right.

This is being tried on BL460c G7 blades with the iLO3 firmware version set at 1.28 (Jan 13 2012).  The same behaviour has been seen with hardware running f/w version 1.20 (Mar 14 2011) too.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
j_d_w
Visitor

Not covering myself in glory here but it would appear that a reset will clear the problem.  After speaking to one of my colleagues it was suggested as an option so we thought we would give it a go. 

I physically removed the blade to perform the reset and upon reseating and reconnecting the ISO via the URL it then performed as expected.  As an additional bonus it would appear to have "fixed" all of the other blades too!  I was going to try the CLI approach "RESET SERVER <Bay No.>" but wanted to be sure of an actual change so booted a blade from the ISO expecting a failure only to see it too behave.  All of the other previously failing blades worked too.

So there you have it.  Resetting the blade via a disconnection of power will also resolve this problem too (it seems, I don't know how long this state will last though).

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is a known issue with the URL-based Virtual Media engine that we will be fixing in the next iLO3 firmware release. As a workaround, mount the ISO directly from the Remote Console as this is a different Virtual Media engine that isn't affected by this issue.

Thanks for the update and further workaround suggestion.

mickeloaf
Regular Visitor

We have also been having this issue with iLO Firmware 1.28 with both the URL method and by mounting an ISO from a USB drive in the back of the Onboard Administrator.

If we boot with plain ole WINPE, the CD-ROM is showing up as an audio cd.

If we boot with a windows Install ISO, it won't see the autounattend.xml file and gives the error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. xxx".  However this worked at once point with the same images.  If I Shift-F10 to the cmd prompt, there is no CD.

Do you have any further details on this issue? Is there an advisory published or target timeframe that this will be fixed?

The only workaround that works for us is using the UNC path method to select an ISO file image.  Unfortuantely, we need to be able to boot an ISO image from a USB drive and see the root of the ISO to support or rapid recovery process.

Any additional details or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Both methods end up using the same URL-based Virtual Media engine that has the issue. As a workaround please copy the ISO to your desktop and mount it using the Remote Console app.

The next iLO3 firmware version 1.50 contains the permanent fix. It is expected to be released next month. I have the Release Candidate if you would like to test it today. Let me know.

Hey Oscar,

That would be great!  I've sent you a private message with my contact details.

Thank you very much!

Mike KIng

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

I've sent you a private message containing the link.

Connecting to virtual media from the console works as it doesn't force me to use a URL (so thanks for that)however - the server is 8000 miles away and when i choose "connect to image" it offers me files and folders on my PC. How do i tell it to use a UNC path to a F&P on its own subnet?

@Oscar A. Perez wrote:

This is a known issue with the URL-based Virtual Media engine that we will be fixing in the next iLO3 firmware release. As a workaround, mount the ISO directly from the Remote Console as this is a different Virtual Media engine that isn't affected by this issue.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Can you update iLO3 firmware? The issue was fixed in version 1.50 and the latest recommended version available today is 1.55