Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748011 Members
3564 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO4 on Gen8 microserver loses configuration after power down

MarkFindsAName

iLO4 on Gen8 microserver loses configuration after power down

I am running a (second user) Core i3 Gen8 Microserver, with a network connection to the dedicated iLO port.  The issue that I have is that after a power down iLO4 configuration gets lost.  This has several adverse effects:

1. the bios system data gets scribbled all over and set to the ROM bootblock date (November 2015)
2. the static IP address is lost (and there is no DHCP server on this part of the network)
3. when the ROM check eventually completes we seem to end up with an IP of 0.0.0.0 so iLO is truly inaccessible

I have replaced the backup battery (which was dead) and reflashed iLO4 to the latest version (2.55).

This occurs with no O/S installed (although I am running the machine with ESXi 6.5 using the customised HP image 650.9.6.5.27 (May 2017)).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
denis_b
HPE Pro

Hello!

Do you see same behaviour when you just restart server?

How long should server be down to lose iLo settings?

Also It will be good if you share AHS log from this server to check it.

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/docs/iss/DL360pGen8/tsg/advanced/Content/151471.htm

Thank you!

I am HPE Employee
Best regards,
Denis

Accept or Kudo

rajatmitra
HPE Pro

Hi,

Try performing a factory reset to iLO4 and then reconfigure the settings over again. Then check on the issue status. If issue persists, then contact HPE Support for further assistance.

In order to reset iLO to factory settings, please reboot the server and press F8 when iLO initializes to access iLO BIOS.

I am HPE Employee
Best regards,
Rajat

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I am HPE Employee

Best regards,
Rajat

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

exddruida
HPE Pro

Dear MarkFindsAName ,

can you recreate the situation - if the same happens, it may be a system board / ILO issue.

If not -  I suspect the failed battery, that you already replaced. 

BR

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

MarkFindsAName

@exddruidaMany thanks for the reply. Yes, I can recreate the problem every time that I physically disconnect the power.  The original backup battery was a dud (about 1.5V).  Before replacement, when I disconnected power I also lost the configured asset tag/hostname.  The replacement battery is a brand new GP Lithium CR2032, checks out at 3V and retains the hostname.

MarkFindsAName

@denis_bHi Denis, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

1. if the server is just restarted, there is no problem - it's ony after physically removing the power cable.

2. removing the power for a minute is enough to trigger the issue (haven't tried it with less time)

3. I have been running some tests today and am in the process of uploading the logs to view with AHSV

MarkFindsAName

@rajatmitraHi Rajat. Many thanks for the reply.

I have moved the server back onto a subnet with a DHCP server so I can at least access the machine through the web client while I test it and perfomed the reset, as described below.

MarkFindsAName

@denis_b@exddruida@rajatmitra

First of all, many thanks for all of your replies, and apologies for the lateness in getting back to you.  I have only just had the opportunity to reconfigure the network so that I could run the test/configuration changes that you all suggested.

After some abortive attempts this morning, the test sequence is as follows:

1. I cleared the logs through the web client
  2. Removed power and removed boot devices (running ESXi 6.5 off internal USB)
  3. On boot, pressed F9: set the clock, saved and exited
  4. On boot, pressed F8 and set static IP, (local) gateway, and set DNS to Google servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
  5. Downloaded AHS log.
  6. Power button off.
  7. Removed power cord for 2 minutes
  8. Replaced power cord.  System automatically does a quick power on, then off.  Automatically powers back on with a DHCP allocated address, powers itself off and then back on with a different DHCP address.  Access through a web browser shows only 7 entries in the Event log, with a Power on request received by: Automatic Power Recovery as the third event (but with no time stamp). [Does this imply that the power reset has resulted in an implicit clear of the log?] Downloaded the AHS log.
  9. ...then F9 to set the system clock...
  10. ...F8 to reconfigure static IP.
  11. Power off button.
  12. Re-inserted boot device in internal USB
  13. Power on button - boots ESXi (HP image). Downloaded the complete AHS log.

I've uploaded the logs to the AHSV website.  (As the clock keeps resetting to 11/02/2015 I included that as the start date in the event filter.)

Using AHSV: looking at Fault Detection Analytics, specifying each of the boot sessions in each of the log files in turn, I get the same message for all: No server faults detected!

Looking through the Event Logs, I can find nothing of consequence - although it does omit the Power on request received by: Automatic Power Recovery event.post_power.png

...I'm at a loss