3764 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ilo keyboard character set

Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

ilo keyboard character set

Hello,

We have this problem with the keyboard characters while remotely accessing a machine through ilo. Whenever we type on the keyboard we don't get the right characters we want and instead, we get unknown characters like that of a language with different alphabet that can't be properly displayed by the machine. The numbers are also out of place. Could this be keyboard configuration settings problem?
Any help will be much appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: ilo keyboard character set

Check the iLO Global Settings - Remote Keyboard model. It should be consistent with the keyboard that the remote server expects to be connected.
Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

Acartes thanks for the post.

I logged in to ilo and chose Global Settings on the left menu but the only thing i could see for keyboard settings is choosing wether to enable or disable Host keyboard. There is no other option for configuring or getting info about keyboard setting i could find.
Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

I got the following details from server information -> status:

Server Keyboard Type: US
Remote Insight Keyboard Cable: Disconnected
Remote Insight Firmware Version: 08/27/2001

POST Diagnostic Results
Keyboard Tests: Passed

I tried a remote login to ilo from another machine and i didn't get the weird character display but still the numbers are out of place. I have to guess where are the special characters and the numbers.

Thanks in advance!

acartes
Honored Contributor

I recommend first updating the firmware on that board. You can download it here:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

Select product and host OS and then get the online ROM flash component. Alternatively, you can extract the image and update the firmware using the browser interface.

Are you using a RILOE, RILOE II or iLO? The settings you indicate do not sound like iLO settings...
Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

I recommend first updating the firmware on that board. You can download it here:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

Select product and host OS and then get the online ROM flash component. Alternatively, you can extract the image and update the firmware using the browser interface.

Are you using a RILOE, RILOE II or iLO? The settings you indicate do not sound like iLO settings...

I logged into the configuration menu through F8 and you're right, it's not an iLO but RILOE.

From the International Settings menu i found out the following:
Keyboard Model=US
Language=English

Seems ok to me. Anyway, I will update our firmware and let you know more later.

Thanks,
Donna
Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

On choosing the right firmware , I chose RILOE on product category, but our OS RH Enterprise Linux 3 is not listed on the OS category. I chose RHEL 2 but there is no 'Online ROM Flash Component...' listed.

I also tried locating the firmware through first giving the OS and then category. I got 'Online ROM Flash Components but only for iLO and RILOE II. Which one should I download then?

Thanks!
acartes
Honored Contributor

I don't see any RILOE firmware image support for Linux. You should download the latest component for Windows. You can extract the firmware image file from the component and then install it by logging into RILOE via the browser and performing the update there.

This is kind of a hassle for a linux environment. I think that RILOE was retired before Linux support was prevalent.
Donna Piller
Occasional Advisor

Hello acartes,

The only 'Online ROM Flash Component..' I saw is for HP iLO and none for RILOE but i found 'RILOE Firmware'. Which then should i choose?

Thanks again!
acartes
Honored Contributor

It has been awhile, so I went through the process to extract the RILOE firmware:

1) download the ROMPAQ diskettes component
2) run the component and extract the floppy images.
3) intall floppy 2. This contains a compressed firmware image.
4) decompress the firmware on the floppy. The syntax loks like this:
c:\>a:\rompaq /D cpqc0001.84A c:\cpqrb253.bin

5) You will now have a file called CPQRB253.BIN. This can be flashed via the web interface.

I took the liberty of attaching this file ZIPPed to this message. You may want to go through the exercise yourself.