1752290 Members
4986 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ilo2 Shared Network Port and Redhat Linux - resets ILO

jdoz22
Occasional Contributor

ilo2 Shared Network Port and Redhat Linux - resets ILO

I am using ilo2 with the Shared Network Port configuration on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.x and 5.x on Proliant DL hardware. While Shared Network Port is nice not running an extra cable, whenever I bounce the Linux server, the Ilo also resets, because it is on the same network port. This is an issue when I have the ilo2 Remote Console open, because it resets, and the Remote Console does not terminate. Now, once the ilo2 connectivity is re-established (20-30 seconds) I cannot get into the remote console because it thinks it is still in use. The only remedy I have found for this is to reset ilo by unplugging the server completely.

This behavior never occurs when using the dedicated ilo2 port on the servers, just when using the shared network port.

Is anyone aware of a setting in Redhat or in ilo2 that will allow the card to not be reset? Technically, it is not Lights-Out, because it resets itself.
3 REPLIES 3
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

jdoz22
Occasional Contributor

No, it is a DL580 G5. This also occurs on the DL585 G5 and the DL380 G5.
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

When the server resets or when the nic driver loads or unloads, the nic resets, and you will lose the network connection to iLO for several seconds. 20 to 30 seconds is unusally long.

For getting Remote Console after it is in use, instead of unplugging the server, try using the remote console acquire button (needs to be enabled). To enable Acquire, go to Remote Console-> Setings-> Remote Console Acquire.

If this fails, go to system Status-> Diagnostics-> Reset, and this will clear the Remote Console connection. It will take about a minute for iLO to reset.