108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: recover ILO factory password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Randolph
Occasional Contributor

recover ILO factory password

Is there any way to find the orginal factory password for the Administrator account?

It seems when a DL380 CMOS battery is low, the ILO reverts to the factory Administrator account and password. The site is getting the hardware repaired (there are other issues), until then I can not provide remote help when our accounts keep dropping. Of course the hang tag with the shipped settings is long gone.
6 REPLIES 6
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

If this is a windows or Linux system, you may want to try the hponcfg utility to change the Administrator password. iLO driver is needed. It is available in the ProLiant support pack.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hi Donald!
You can reset iLO password (dip-switches inside server) or reassign it through iLO setup (press F8 and manually type password).
Hpocfg will not work because you must provide current admin password for write permission.
In the same situation I have used HP RDP software which can replace iLO parametrs in DOS environment...
Donald Randolph
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answers so far, but I need to recover the original factory password. I hope the some algorithm was used to generate passwords from serial numbers. If they are truly random we are toast.

While someone physically at the server can change passwords during POST (done 3 times alrady), that delays support while I email and then wait for them to reset the machine. The remote site is across enough time zones that I never get to call someone for a quick 5 minute fix.
Rajeshwari, Hiresave
Trusted Contributor

If your servers have Windows or Linux operating systems and you have root access to them, you can change the Administrator password using Hponcfg utility as mentioned above.

For more details on changing the iLO Administrator password using the utility, please refer to the thread, the link for which is given below.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=971242
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

>> I need to recover the original factory password.
>> If they are truly random we are toast.

Toast. The passwords are randomly computed for each system with no provision to recover them if lost.
Donald Randolph
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, not the answer I wanted, but not unexpected either :(