3447 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reset iLO to factory default

julian soda
Occasional Contributor

reset iLO to factory default

hello.
i think i may have mis-entered the network information for the iLO (connected to a proliant dl360), and now, I cannot reach the iLO through the network. i'd like to reset the iLO to its factory network settings (or just to use dhcp). the server it is installed in does not have an operating system, so i cannot use that to reconfigure the iLO.
any ideas?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
acartes
Honored Contributor

You will need someone to locally administer the server.

During POST, enter when prompted for access to the iLO option ROM configuration utility, RBSU.

From RBSU, you can select the "set defaults" option, save and exit.

You may then want to reset the host and re-enter iLO RBSU for basic configuration such as network settings and user accounts.
Rula

I made the same misstake, and have now no contact with the server at all.
Mine is a blade server, so I have no console for it.
I need to reset the server manually. I test to ignore configuration and password (switchs 1 and 6 inside), but nothing changed.
acartes
Honored Contributor

For a P-class blade server, you will need to connect the "dongle" cable to the front of the blade. Connect an ethernet client to the RJ45 connector and configure it for a static IP address.

iLO will detect the cable presence and assume a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 on the front cable. You can open a browser and then log into iLO at that address.

From there, using the iLO Remote Console, reboot the host, enter iLO RBSU during POST, and select "Set to factory defaults" and exit.

Of course, this will preempt your Remote Console session.

Disconnect the dongle, and wait a couple minutes for iLO.

From that point on, iLO will become a DHCP client on the regular iLO network. Using the DNS name on the front tag, browse to the client and have at it.

Exception: if you have the enclosure configured to use Enclosure Static IP addressing for the bay, i.e., iLO in bay 1 gets xxx.yyy.zzz.1 and bay 2 gets xxx.yyy.zzz.2 and so on, the blade will assume that address instead of DHCP.
Rula

Hi
I have disabled all possibly related switches 1, 5 and 6... It is supposed to reset ILO, but I still cannot access the server.
acartes
Honored Contributor

One way to reset to factory defaults is to remove the coin battery on the system board for about 5 minutes, with the system completely disconnected. The battery is probably similar to a CR2032, about the size of a quarter.

Then reinstall the battery in the same position and try again.

Note that this is a delicate procedure and if you damage the system board, you are on your own!
Rula

Hi
I did connected the cables to a laptop and configured that with IP 192.168.1.2
I open an IE window and try to connect to 192.168.1.1 but I don't get contact with the blade server.
What's next?
acartes
Honored Contributor

I assume you connected the SUBI or "dongle" cable to the front of the blade. Under normal circumstances, iLO will switch over to this network port (if link is detected) and assume a static IP address of 192.168.1.1

To connect using a client PC, it also needs to be configured using a static address on the same subnet. You should be able to PING iLO when the connection is good. Is there link on the iLO segment?
David Smocot
Occasional Visitor

Make sure you use a cross over cable when you connect to the dongle attached in front of the blade.