1748177 Members
4148 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: setting up NTP for ilo

Moe Abdelwahid
Advisor

setting up NTP for ilo

I'm using ILO2 and i need to setup these ILOs to be synched with our NTP server. I looked in the ILO configuration but i couldn't see any where i can configure our NTP server.
Any help folks?
9 REPLIES 9
Daniel Frazier
Frequent Advisor

Interesting question. I'm not sure the iLO has its own clock to synchronize. From the Event Log Help menu:

"The iLO 2 time and date is synchronized with the host clock when the host is reset (during POST) and when the Insight Agents run. If iLO 2 did not know the time and date when the event was updated, [NOT SET] is displayed."
Daniel Frazier
Frequent Advisor

hm.. that response sounds contradictory upon rereading. I didn't mean to suggest that the iLO doesn't have its own clock - rather that its clock syncs with the host clock which can in turn be synced with an NTP server via the host OS.

Here's hoping that this message clarifies things rather than makes it worse!
Moe Abdelwahid
Advisor

Thanks Daniel;
but how can i setup this configuration?. i don't see any where i see mention to NTP under ILO
Daniel Frazier
Frequent Advisor

I don't believe there is an NTP client on the iLO - rather the iLO's clock automatically syncs with the system clock.

If your host OS is running an ntp client, then the iLO will benefit from that.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I think that Daniel's point was that there is no NTP support in the iLO itself as the iLO gets its time synchronized automagically from the host via things like the Insight Agents.

As for how one configures NTP or its purported equivalent in the host, that will depend on the OS running on the host.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Moe Abdelwahid
Advisor

Thanks folks.
Moe Abdelwahid
Advisor

Answered
Dominic Dupuis
Occasional Advisor

But, if my OS server is running in another timezone and I want my iLO to run in my own timezone...this mean that it's not possible to do? The iLO need to run in the same timezone as the host server?
acartes
Honored Contributor

But, if my OS server is running in another timezone and I want my iLO to run in my own timezone...this mean that it's not possible to do? The iLO need to run in the same timezone as the host server?

Correct. iLO cannot run in a different time zone than the host.