3681 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: virtual serial console on lo100 is read-only

Marc 'Zugschlus' Haber
Occasional Contributor

virtual serial console on lo100 is read-only

Hi,

I have an DL 120 G6 which is equipped with a lo100 remote management interface. I am kind of confused with the serial console.

I have a serial console server connected to the physical serial port on my DL120. It's configured to 115200n8 and works fine: I can access the BIOS, and what I type gets sent to the BIOS and later to the boot manager and even more later to the running OS.

However, when I ssh to the lo100 and say "cd /system1/console1" and "start", I get a read-only view to the console: I can see the POST going on and watch the OS booting, but I cannot type anything. Neither to BIOS, neither the boot manager, neither the running OS seems to receive what I type. When I type something on the "real" serial console or on the "real" physical console, I can watch what happens on the lo100's virtual console, but I cannot type anything there.

Pulling the physical serial console and resetting the lo100 doesn't change this behavior, the lo100's virtual console is a read-only interface.

Am I doing something wrong? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Greetings
Marc
7 REPLIES 7
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Marc,

LO100 provides text mode console redirection, DMTF SMASH compliant command line interface, and browser access to many of the same system management functions. You can access LO100 through a dedicated Ethernet port or through the server serial port.

Enabling Serial Access to HP ProLiant Lights-Out 100 (LO100)On HP ProLiant DL120 G5 servers, perform the following steps:

ROM-Based Setup, press the F10 key

Press the down arrow (├в ) key to scroll to IO Device Configuration .

Press the Enter key.

Set Embedded Serial Port Mode to BMC .

Set Embedded Serial Port to Enabled .

refererence :
http://h41302.www4.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=emr_na-c02063205&hsid=15686547

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Marc 'Zugschlus' Haber
Occasional Contributor

aftab, that didn't help as it's the information from the manual. I have read the manual, and have set both settings you suggested to the appropriate values.

This gives the behavior I have described in the thread starter, with a read-only virtual console.

Greetings
Marc
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Marc,

The Virtual KVM / Media option is an advanced feature available through license.

DL120 G6 servers, verify the following settings:
Console Redirection
├в BIOS Serial console├в Enabled
├в Baud Rate-9600
I/O Device Configuration
├в Embedded Serial Port Mode├в BMC
├в Embedded Serial Port├в Enabled

for more configuration options, refer to HP ProLiant Lights Out-100 User Guide For HP ProLiant G6 and G7 Servers
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02521690.pdf

hope this helps,
thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Marc 'Zugschlus' Haber
Occasional Contributor

No, it doesn't. If the baud rate were wrong, the virtual serial console wouldn't be working at all.
Ernest Beinrohr
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marc, have you ben able to use the serial on iLO 100?

I seem to have the same problem, read-only access to serial port.
Marc 'Zugschlus' Haber
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ernest,

no, I have not been able to resolve this issue yet.

I have reset the lo100 to its factory settings by turning on the unit with the battery removed, but that didn't help either.

Greetings
Marc
Ernest Beinrohr
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the replay. I have issued and service request with HP. All my other iLOs work :(

I'll write if there is something new.