Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753683 Members
5566 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 150+ sites - New SIM Installation ? Possible solution?

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

150+ sites - New SIM Installation ? Possible solution?

Hi All,

We have got an urgent requirement of managing around 150+ sites (geographically separated), having around 5000+ nodes in total to be monitored using HP SIM (for hardware monitoring only).

Can anyone suggest:

1. Best approach to be followed in this implementation?

i.e. From architectural design and implementation point of view?

2. How the sizing should be done? (1 SIM server per location or 1 server for all locations)

3. Any good document or link on the similar query?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Guys,

Can anyone having SIM deployment exp. help on this please?

Regards

Rene Nascimento
Frequent Advisor

This is a heavy lift to say the least. To start, hopefully you have looked at the HP SIM document for configuring SIM in Large environments which tells you how to create a master SIM server with multiply secondary SIM servers. From there you will have to create custom collections based countries and or Regions, create custom scheduled tasks for each region for polling and event alerts etc... 

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I do not have an expert knowledge to share, only my own experience with something similar to what your environment may be.

Our implementation has 1 CMS located in a major data center.  We have about 1,500 servers but the total number of objects is closer to 10,000 with iLOs, OAs, blade enclosures, etc.  We also are dispersed over about 400 sites.  Our CMS is a physical server with 12 GB of RAM and plenty of CPU power.  No issues performance-wise.  I did have to throttle back the frequency of the main hardware polling tasks as they would not complete before another would being.  I believe it is set to run every 4 hours now. 

So far, no issues.  The most difficult issue for us has been the import of site location information (to use with Insight Remote Supoprt).  It has been very time consuming and tedious and the import tool is very picky about the format of text, almost to the point of uselessness (however it could be my fault, i am currently researching any formatting issues I wasn't aware of).

Thanks

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Thanks Rene

yes, i checked that guide.

But it only gives you a high level overview of it....

Do you have a link/doc as how to create custom collections based on region/country?

Regards

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Thanks LGentile...

Yes, we also have a similar setup....

We have around 12000 servers in 150+ sites in 5+ domains this includes devices in workgroup & DMZ too

Most of servers are in site A & site B & site C and rest (1 or 2 in each site) are scattered in various sites

Now, I want to know how many CMS I need to place in my infrastructure & where?

Can I place :

1 CMS in site A to monitor all devices in site A

& other in site B to monitor all devices in site B

& 1 more in site C to monitor all devices in site C and REST ALL sites (with a remote SQL database for each CMS?)

What do you suggest based on your exp.?

and what db size i should choose if we want to retain data for 90/360 days? is any such sql db sizing tool available for HP SIM?

Regards