1748150 Members
3426 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5.2 Upgrade SNAFU's---so far

Mike Angley
Advisor

5.2 Upgrade SNAFU's---so far

So i followed the doucmentation for the upgrade--basically running the installer. Here is 2 issues:
1--it reset the severity of my SNMP traps. I had about 30 or so customized severity levels of certian traps, now i have back to default and have to go and change them all again.

2--I keep dropping connection to the DB that resides on a seperate SQL server. It has dropped 4-5 times just this morning. Yes i have rebooted, once after the upgrade last night and once again this AM. Naturally the app quits, then reestablishes the connection but it kicks me out while it is doing this.

Yes, i agree, i miss the overview screen, i used it quite a bit....
8 REPLIES 8
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I too am having lots of fun with the ugprade. I really miss the Overview screen too..why remove that? It makes no sense.

The troubles I am having are with the Warrenty collection stuff. The upgrade for that portion failed and gave some meaningless error that gave no insight (pardon the pun). So then I tried to reinstall and now it tells me it is already installed - so I don't know what version is running on the SIM server. Then, I discovered the "Monthly Contract and Warranty Collection" job was just running over and over in a constant loop. It was so bad I could not even view the "Task Status" window. I finally figured out to into the Scheduled Tasks view and disable that task and then manually kill the 30 or so "pending" jobs for that task.

My better judgement told me not to upgrade - I never listen.
Shane Shelton

I've got an issue where the new version of System Management Homepage just likes to stop working, thus killing my version control repository. Uninstalled it and reinstalled it to no avail. Work great on SIM 5.1....
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Mike:

Customizing the severity levels in the SNMP MIBs is a bad idea; any time there is a MIB update, it will wipe out your edits and you will have to re-do them. Best practice is to handle it in the way you create your Action on Events in HP SIM.
Mike Angley
Advisor

Normally i agree, the least customization the better, however its the only way to filter out the alerts i do not need.
For instance, my Cell Phone gets hit with every critical event. Now, a software update notification needed, in my opinion, is not nessassary to wake me up in the middle of the night for. So i downgrade it to a major (hence no page)and check on them every other day. I also would get paged for a SCSI9 or 7 evert every few minutes if i do not turn it off.

Or its modifying the pages to such an extent to make them unusable.

New item that has cropped up: it is turning my Mcafee to paused, then on every few minutes.

Any help would really be appreicated. This afternoon i am going for a re-install.

Thanks
Mike
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

That's my point...instead of creating an action on events that blindly sends all critical alerts, be more specific. That way, you won't be messing with the MIB files, just your action.
Shane Shelton

To answer my own issue above, I just downgraded to 2.10.186C and it fixed the issue.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

David,
I agree that managing the events is the way to go. But it would be nice to periodically review and maybe seek consensus on what is critical might be nice.
As with a previous poster - I don't see Software updates as Critical. I need to know about them but not at 3 a.m.

Mike Angley
Advisor

So i would have a paging event sorta like:

Systems: all

Severity critical but not SCSI7 and not SCSI9 and not Critical software update and NOT link up and NOT server power outage and NOt....etc for every one of my 20 users?

Or am i misunderstanding this forest for the trees in the way?