1748180 Members
4121 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: A server can only be discoverable by SIM when firewall is disabled

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Why do you put the network connectio, on Public? Public network is known as being completely closed up...

Normally your connection should be Work or Domain network, and then it should be working fine... It is in my case...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
w2k3s
Frequent Advisor

no, i did not put the network connection on public. the network connection is on DOMAIN, but SIM discovery or ping won't work unless i turn off the public firewall profile. that's what confuses me. the network is clearly using domain profile. 

jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

ok w2k3 - after a bunch of digging and going cross-eyed in google and at microsofts kb, it appears there are complaints similar to yours regarding the Windows Firewall and  Domain interface profile not being recognized when software is installed, I found a couple of instances where it turned out to be caused by a problem with the profile for one of the interfaces and another a problem with the standby nic. A good place to start.

Curious - are you teaming your NICs?  If so how are they teamed and could verify that both interfaces reflect the proper profile? I don't know if you have to break the team to do that.

If you see that everything is fine in your team and on all of your interfaces then I suppose you are going to have to chase it down with Microsoft - suffice to say I came up with enough information to accept the interface profiles in WinFW is a less than perfect security functionality and hopefully Microsoft addresses it.

You never did tell me if you explored you GPO for the Firewall Settings as that is another place. Anyway, I have gone about as far as I can go with it since it doesn't appear to be an HP product problem. I'd hit the technet forums and see what you come up with there.