4587 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Access VCRM from "old" client?

Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

Access VCRM from "old" client?

Hi,
I have clients with "old" versions of the VCA which only provide user options = "administrator", "operator", "user", "anonymous". I want to connect them up to our SIM server but cannot seem to find a way to authenticate from these clients (all others use a domain account that works just fine). Suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

You have two choices:

1) Upgrade to a newer VCA/SMH on those systems.

2) Create a userid call Operator on the system that is running the Version Control Repository Manager. If you already have a group being used for Administrator or Operator rights in the System Management Homepage for the server running VCRM, then place the "Operator" ID into one of those groups. If not, then create a group called VCOperators and place that ID into it. Then go to the SYstem Management Homepage of the VCRM server and add VCOperators as group that has Operator authority in the SMH.

Good Luck,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

Rich,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've previously tried option 1 and it works just fine. Unfortunately, I cannot choose that option for business reasons...at least not anytime soon.

Option 2 was unsuccessful. I just tried creating the "Operator" account on the VCRM, created a local group VCOperators and added "Operator" to it. I then added the VCOperators group with full permissions to SIM, logged in to confirm everything was correctly configured, then attempted to access it from one of the "problem" clients. The result was the same as before..."The version control repository manager, at , could not be accessed using the specified account and password." I checked the security event log on the VCRM server and saw the "Operator" account had successfully logged in (and out) three times. Not sure what that means?? FYI the Operator account is NOT disabled (just in case you were wondering). Any thoughts?
Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

Rich,
I just tried something that worked...I added the "Operator" account to the local Administrators group on the VCRM server. Why is that necessary?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Actually, it is not necessary. What Version Control works off of is permissions or authority based in the System Management Homepage - *not* HPSIM. So if you would like you can take the "Operator" ID out of the "Administrators" group and if it is still in the VCOperators group you then go to the System Management Homepage on the system running VCRM. That is the web page that comes up on http:\\servername\2301 or https:\\servername\2381 - go to the security settings and you will be able to add VCOperators group to the SMH permissions for "Operator" level privilege. The VC requires either Administrator or Operator level privilege. The reason it worked when you put it in the Administrators group is because the SMH default gives the Administrators OS group Administrator rights in the SMH. Hopefully that makes some sense . . .

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?