1748169 Members
4275 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding Custom system types in system properties page

Bill Bauling

Adding Custom system types in system properties page

Am running SIM6.0.

I want to use SIM as our core data collection point for our CMDB.

From the documentation ive found, it appears you cannot use sim for data collection (ie product model, etc) using mibs from a vendor that isnt in the included hp mib list. is this the case?

If so, Is it possible to add additional system types in the product descrtiption selections within sim? For example our security cameras are discoverable via snmp, since i cant gather inventory information via snmp, id like to be able to set they system type to ip camera. that type doesnt exist. can i add this?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Re: Adding Custom system types in system properties page

Hi

Answer would be yes :
two steps are necessary :
from the following Doc :
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02046182/c02046182.pdf

1/compile the necessary mib in HP SIM
page 117

2/Define a new sytem type rule
page 146

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Bill Bauling

Thanks for the Reply -

Does your yes mean i can actually import the mibs and have sim extract the sytem configuraiton information. Or does it mean I can add system types to the description selections?

I read in the same doc where imported mibs are only for receiving traps, and not for collecting configuration information. if I misunderstood, that would be great.

If I want to track inventory of non-snmp manageable devices - such as a phone, television, or radio, how would i add a type for that without a MIB?

Thanks.

Bill
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

As mentioned by Fred follow page 146!

System Type Manager enables you to extend Systems Insight Manager's SNMP-based discovery so that it
is able to identify new types of systems. You do this by creating a System Type Manager rule that maps a
System Object ID (OID), and optionally an additional MIB variable, to the desired type. Manufacturers assign
unique System OIDs to their SNMP-instrumented products.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You're right, importing the MIBs is so that HP SIM can decode any SNMP Traps sent to it.

But you can identify new devices by adding a new type. Essentially you use HPSIM to interrogate the SNMP OID and then give a name to that OID.
You're not going to get the same detailed collections for this device though. It will just be displayed better in HPSIM. So I think that part o what you want to do may not be quite possible, and that's collect more inventory detail from the device.
Bill Bauling

right now, id be happy with just being able to define some additional catagories. is there a way to do this without importing a mib? I just need to add a device type to the selection list so i can manually select it.

perhaps i can find the database table and add it.