108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding MSCS 2003 Clusters to be Monitored - SIM 5 SP4

SOLVED
Go to solution
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Adding MSCS 2003 Clusters to be Monitored - SIM 5 SP4

Can someone explain the proper way to manually discover MSCS (Windows 2003) clusters in SIM? I've verified both nodes (2 node cluster) have the Clustering Information agent active, but when I try to discover the cluster address (by name) as well as the two nodes (also by name), I have no luck. I am able to discover both nodes individually, but then manually discovering the cluster address and marking it as a cluster in the discovery process causes the active node to disappear and the cluster name to show in SIM. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this has worked for me in the past since there are a few other clusters that show up properly (cluster with nodes below it).

thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Just a bit of updated info, I left SIM yesterday with one node (the passive node) and the cluster discovered. I had hoped that as of this am I would see both nodes marked as members of the cluster, but that did not happen. No change from what I saw yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greg Bates
Advisor
Solution

Sounds like it could be a couple of issues.

1. Make sure that the cluster nodes are only associated with their physical node IP Address and that there are no other IP's associated. Delete, then rediscover if necessary.

2. It sort of sounds like what happens when the cluster monitoring is not turned on in the local agents. I would double check and restart the agents if necessary.

3. Double check that the cluster name is actually the cluster name and not a cluster virtual server name and IP. Otherwise that will associate with the physical server and mess up the cluster monitoring.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Greg,

Thanks for the input. I understand the first two, and I'll check there first.

Could you expand on #3 a bit more? Not sure I understand what address I should be discovering to discover the cluster itself. This actually sounds like it might be the cause of the issue though since one of the nodes disappears when I discover the cluster.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Greg,

It was the #1 item on your list. Although I checked this yesterday, and actually had to fix it on one of the pair, the second box seems to have reset itself to not having the cluster monitoring agent enabled. I enabled it, restarted the agent, and rediscovered both nodes and the correct cluster name (discovering the SQL cluster name yesterday caused me lose that node - the active one actually) and everything looks good in SIM.

Thank you very much!