Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752805 Members
5820 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

After upgrading to SIM 5.3 I have lost the abitlity to manually discover servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Schleicher
Occasional Contributor

After upgrading to SIM 5.3 I have lost the abitlity to manually discover servers

Yesterday I upgraded from SIM 5.2 SP2 to SIM 5.3. Now when I go into the discover menu, I no longer have tabs available to select manual discovery. Has this moved to another location? Is it no longer available? (According to documentation, I should still be able to manually discover systems one at a time.)

I really prefer to manually add new servers as they are built (or let them be discovered on first SNMP trap), rather than eat up system resources doing automated discoveries.

Thanks in advance for the help.
10 REPLIES 10
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: After upgrading to SIM 5.3 I have lost the abitlity to manually discover servers

You have to do a new discovery task = manual discovery
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Ray Schleicher
Occasional Contributor

Re: After upgrading to SIM 5.3 I have lost the abitlity to manually discover servers

Thanks for the quick reply.

I consider this "feature" a step backward, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.

I appreciate your assistance.
Ray Schleicher
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the added info, David.

Can you confirm what I have read in another post that this new discovery process of SIM 5.3 is crashing ILO2s in DL380 G5s and BL460c's? (http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1234463665395+28353475&threadId=1309365) No one from HP has confirmed this thread, but it seems to be accurate.

My team is in a mad rush to upgrade firmware on all of our blades and 380's now, since we've had at least 20 servers's ILOs crash after our 5.3 upgrade. (The update to 1.70 seems to have fixed things.)

Thanks again.
Steve Goble
Advisor

There IS an issue with SIM 5.3 and iLO2. Upgrading to 1.70 will fix the issue.
Steve Goble
Terence Ng
Advisor

Is it really true that HP SIM 5.30 crashes with iLO2?

I upgraded my HP SIM 5.0 to HP SIM 5.3 four days ago, I have been receiving following major alerts from the iLO2 of my BL460c/DL380G5 over the past three days.

================================
Event Name: (SNMP) Remote Insight/ Integrated LightsOut Interface Error (9006)
Event description: Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out Interface Error. The host OS has detected an error in the Remote Insight/ Integrated Lights-Out interface. The firmware is not responding.
================================

Could HP confirm officially?
If it is true, what is the immeidate workaround or resolution?

One of my BL460c had the mainboard replaced two days ago because of iLO2 malfunction with the above error.

Thank you.
Steve Goble
Advisor

I believe that this issue is still evolving. HP SIM is not crashing. Some type of an issue with previous versions of iLO FW. Simply upgrade the iLO version and you should be fine.
Steve Goble
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

HP has released an advisory regarding this issue (document number c01452373). The permanent fix is to upgrade the iLO and or iLO-2 firmware. If you can't update the firmware there is a hot fix for HP SIM 5.3 that prevents the old iLO/iLO-2 firmware failures. I've attached a link to the advisory taht contains the details and a links...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01452373&dimid=1007285644&dicid=alr_feb09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/feb09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_AdvisoryRevision/alerts

Tom Scheppler
Occasional Advisor

I added the tool using your post (thank you). Everything looks good except that the IP address or DNS Name field has a %1 behind it. When I perform a "Run Now" it errors with this error.
SSH public key authentication failed for user xxxxx.
Target system cr1ntpsim.xxx.com might not be configured.
Please run mxagentconfig -a from command line window or Configure->Configure or Repair Agents from graphical user interface to configure the target system.

CR1NTPSIM is our CMS server. We don't utilize SSH in our SIM environment.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

%1 simply means that the field is treated as the first argument in the command line that HP SIM will use to run mxnode.

Did you not install OpenSSH on your CMS? Locally, that's the way that HP SIM "shells out" to run commands. If you did not install OpenSSH, see "Secure Shell (SSH) in HP SIM 5.3" from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library for information on how to configure SSH bypass.