1751808 Members
3867 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Agent 8.0.0 on ESX: beware

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Agent 8.0.0 on ESX: beware

Just thought I should post this in case someone searches for a similar issue in the forums, or an HP engineer reads this.

The 8.0.0 agent for VMware ESX no longer reported the "NIC Connectivity Lost" trap to my SIM 5.2 server. By sniffing the network packets between the two, I found out what I think the problem is, as it reports event #18011 instead of #18006 as it should and 18011 is not defined in the cpqnic MIB.

I wasted enough time on this today and no longer have the patience to sit through 1st level support to explain this, so I've gone back to 7.9.1 which works and I'm happy.

Olivier
9 REPLIES 9
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

What version of ESX?

-- Rob
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Keep an eye out for a MIB update for HPSIM. Maybe they'll fix the MIB.
Interesting if this is just ESX or if other OSes suffer the same issue.
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

did u check the same in 7.91? is that reporting it 18006. i m asking it just for my curiosity.
I found so many other issues also with agent 8.0 this is an addition to them.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I just confirmed using tcpdump, this one sends 18006 as soon as I unplug the NIC using Virtual Connect (it's in a Proliant Blade). I clearly remember that the 8.0.0 agent was sending 18011.

The Linux trap IDs document for 8.0.0, dated Feb. 2008, does mention that it should be 18006, as traps >18010 are not defined:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00760188/c00760188.pdf
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I've just opened a case on this today. I'll keep you posted.
Jesse Rink
Advisor

Any update to this?

I have 8.0 agents on my esx 3.5 server and now when I reboot my VMs HPSIM no longer seems to notice the server is offline.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I opened a detailed call on the ITRC, and never got any follow-up although it's been open for a week now. I don't feel like pushing further as 7.9.1 works well for me. At least the call will end up logged somewhere.

Olivier
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor