1753935 Members
9504 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Agentless C7000 enclosure monitoring.

KeefBaker

Agentless C7000 enclosure monitoring.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up agentless monitoring, primarily on C7000s and then moving onto standard iLOs.

I have the enclosures set with the right SNMP strings, set to send alerts to the SIM server but it's not quite there yet...

1) The alerts don't seem to get through

not quite sure why, I've definitely allowed UDP161 and 162 through..

2) It picks the machines up and when I look at the list it gives me the IP and even some of the details, and if I run the data collection report it even sees that the blades and fans are there. However, it does not add it to the list of C Class enclosures.

Do I have to add this manually on each enclosure or should it pick this up?

Also can it pick the device name up out of the onboard administrator? (this environment does not run DNS sadly)

I've tried picking through the manual but I just end up with brain freeze. SOrry guys, hope you can give me some pointers.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: Agentless C7000 enclosure monitoring.

I am not 100% sure how to direct you - we have a large number of c7000s, but one thing I will mention is that you will be in for great pain in SIM if you do not have DNS set up properly. I strongly urge you to set up DNS for ALL of your management interfaces so they are fully resolvable both forward and backward or SIM may not discover them properly.

So, for an OA, give it a shortname and DNS suffix, then make sure your DNS zone has it registered for A and PTR records, then you are ready to discover everything.

Your alternative, lacking DNS, is using host files - but i can tell you from experience, it is very painful to manage your devices this way.

Sadly, we are in the same boat. We created host files containing all OAs and VCs for one discovery, then all iLOs for another. The credentials on this task include root logins for the management interfaces.

What version of SIM? We had a lot of issues seeing enclosure details until we upgraded to 6.3, then finally 7.1. 6.2 only showed partial information at best.

Another note - SIM does not always populate serial #s for all components so you may have to enter this data manually so when an event is generated (if you are going to use IRSA), the OA/VC/etc is associated with the correct enclosure. Basically, all components should have the serial # of the enclosure. SIM will populate the serial # field with '9' sometimes and I am not sure why. We had to update ours manually.

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

@LGentile wrote:
Another note - SIM does not always populate serial #s for all components so you may have to enter this data manually so when an event is generated (if you are going to use IRSA), the OA/VC/etc is associated with the correct enclosure. Basically, all components should have the serial # of the enclosure. SIM will populate the serial # field with '9' sometimes and I am not sure why. We had to update ours manually.

Regarding the OS serial # '9' there is this Advisory HP BladeSystem - HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) Version 6.3 (or Earlier) Displays the Product Number of the c-Class Enclosure as "9" Instead of the Actual Product Number . I really hope HP fixes this.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I hate to tell you that we're on 7.1 with the Sept 2012 updates and this still happens. However, I am not sure we have added any new enclosures since the update (we're not really looking forward to repopulating anything if it doesn't work). They may have fixed it...
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. I kind of expected the issue to still exist as the advisory is written as if it's a SIM issue whereas I believe it's caused by https://<OA-IP>/xmldata?item=all and the PROD_ID tag. But who knows, maybe one day someone from the OA team will stumble upon this and fix it...