Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753826 Members
8796 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Alerts are e-mailed, but "Config Failures/Changes" are not...

Alerts are e-mailed, but "Config Failures/Changes" are not...

Hi there

Forgive the possible newbie question...

My HP SIM is setup to forward alerts etc to an e-mail group I have set up. This works brilliantly for any server that is disconnected from the network (unreachable etc).

I have seen that for only 1 server do I get e-mails such as "NIC Status Trap", "Link Up" & "Link Down", yet there are many other alerts actually within my HP SIM.

Case in point, 1 of my servers has a failed Accelerator Battery, and when I opend my HP SIM I saw under the System Health Status taht there was a problem... I would just have liked to have this alert e-mailed to me as well...

Can someome perhaps suggest any other config changes I need to make, eiether to my HP SIM Server, or to the Agent configs, to rectify this?

Thanks
William R.
9 REPLIES 9
Justin Mattey_1
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem when I first started using SIM. On all your servers do the following. In Services - SNMP - TRAPS you need to configure the Trap Destination to point to the HP SIM Server and enter the community string.
Restart SNMP Service on the server

Then go into Control Panel - HP Management agents, SNMP Settings, and send a test trap, you should recieve this alert on your SIM server.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Thanks for that, this definitely works...

1 more question though... within the HP SIM there is a way of configuring the SNMP agents on all the servers... I have done this ane endbale dthe option that says something liek "set the HP SIM server as a trap destination"... but obviously this didn;t get done on all of my servers. Any idea why?

Is there a better way to configure the correct SNMP settings on all 107 servers, other than doing so manually?

Thanks
William R.
Justin Mattey_1
Occasional Advisor

Goto - Configure(top Toolbar) replicate agent settings -
Step 1: Select all your taget servers,
Step 2: Select a source server where the agents(SNMP Settings) have are allready configured.
Step 3: Choose Source Configuration Settings(here you can edit all the settings)

Just shout if you get stuck!

Regards
Justin
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

You can use the "configure or repair agents" task to configure SNMP on multiple servers.

Thanks for trhe replies, guys. I have trief the following:

"Configure & Repair Agent Settings"
- When it runs, I get the following output on my screen:
Target: em1.corporate.columbus.co.za
ID: 2871
Executed as: col2002
Task name: Configure or Repair Agents Start time: 12/21/05 - 6:10 AM SAST
Tool: Configure or Repair Agents
End time: 12/21/05 - 6:10 AM SAST
Owner: CORPORATE\rob05939
Duration: 50 sec
Command: N/A

And there is no output in the StdErr or StdOutput screens. I do however get an e-mail alert from my HPSIM server which says:

Event Name: Login Attempt By Invalid User Event originator: em1
Event Severity: Major
Event received: 21-Dec-2005, 06:10:52
Event description: A login attempt was made by an invalid user

Security Event Details
User Name: MYDOMAIN\adminuser
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Device Name: 127.0.0.1

(The username above has been changed to protect the innocent...)

The adminuser account is already included in the MYDOMAIN\Domain Admins group, and the Domain Admins group is part of both the local Administrators group, as well as a group with Full Config rights on HPSIM...
Coincidentally, the ADMINUSER account is the one used to start all the HPSIM services...

I then tried to "Replicate agent Settings", and a lot of my servers gave errors during the "Select Target" stage under the "Tool Launch OK?", saying "No, does not support the SMH protocol." Any idea as to what the SMH protocol is?

Anyway, when I get to the stage to chose a "Source" server, I see that many servers are not "Trusted". And when I try to "Configure" them, nothing changes... At least my HPSIM server is trusted I suppose...

I then ran the "Replicate Agent Settings", and most of my servers then reported an error and stated that:
"The agent does not trust the HP Systems Insight Manager Server. Establish a trust relationship"

Well, if I knew how to get that done, I suppose I would have done it already.

So I think the bottom line for now is that my servers don't trust my HPSIM, and the logon username for my HP SIM services is not allowed to actually do anything...

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
William R.
Justin Mattey_1
Occasional Advisor

Sounds like none of your servers are trusted by SIM.This needs to be done first.

There are several ways to setup trusts between Servers and SIM.
Am guessing you built your 107 servers with smartstart? When you built them, did you put in a WBEM password during the build? Ver 7.20 and lower of smartstart used a local WBEM password. Ver 7.20 and above used OS authentication. This change may have happeded after 7.10, I can't remember.

If so make sure this password is in SIM under OPTIONS - PROTOCOL SETTINGS - GLOBAL PROTOCOL SETTINGS- Default WBEM settings.
As I have different versions i.e 7.10 and 7.40 I can specify different passwords in this section

When you click on a target server in SIM you should see "Systems Management Homepage" (SMH) If you click on this it should follow the link to your SMH on that server. If not there are still trust issues.
Log on to a target server, via TS is ok. Launch SMH,(Icon on desktop) should let you in by default as you are a systems admin. Have a look at the different settings. Am taking it that you can get to SMH?

Thanks for the reply Justin.

Regarding the WBEM password, is this the password that is used to access the System Management pag on each server? I'm guessing not...

I can quite happily launch the Hardware Status thingymajiggy from within HPSIM, and then connect via HTTP to each server and some of them I login with Windows credentials, and others I login with the "Administrator" username.

Bottm line is that I can see the Hardware Status being reported within HPSIM, and I cann access the Syste Management page of each and every server via HTTP, it seems as if they just don't trust me :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks
William R.
Justin Mattey_1
Occasional Advisor

Regarding the WBEM password, is this the password that is used to access the System Management page on each server? I'm guessing not...
Yes it is. Make sure these details are in the global protocol settings. Also the Windows authentication username and password as well. If the details are in here then i believe it wont prompt you from now on,every time you click on the SMH for a client server from within SIM.

I think it's failing cause these details aren't in. When they are, when the task runs it tries the password you have in the global protocol settings and sees the trust enabling the task to change settings.

Aaish Justin... this thing's giving me a headache...

Under the Global Protocol settings I have added the WBEM Administrator account and password, the Domain Administrator account & password, my own account & password, and a few others just for good measure... :)

However, I still cannot get the Configure/Repair Agents to run successfully... and when I try to Replicate Agent Settings, 90% of the servers still say they do not trust the HPSIM Server...

Would you have any other suggestions for me please?

Thanks
William R.