cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Boot Bank discovered - ESX5.1

Jeff_L
Occasional Advisor

Alternate Boot Bank discovered - ESX5.1

Recently we upgrades our esxi 5.0 hosts to 5.1 as an in-place upgrade.  We have a mix of 380G6 to G8 servers.  We are running hpsim 7.1 with the fall patches.

Since we upgraded the servers from HP's esx image 5.0 to 5.1, hpsim is sometimes discovering a new objects for existing esx hosts and making the previous ones listed as OS name "VMware ESXi Alternate Boot Bank" and OS version "5.0.0".  The only solution has been to restart the CIM provider on the esx host and run a system identification.  This clears out a server object represented by the serial number of the host and corrects the one with the actual host name.  We are running firmware revs from within the past year but its possible they're not running the absolute latest.

Has anybody run into this and what was your solution?

1 REPLY
Jeff_L
Occasional Advisor

Re: Alternate Boot Bank discovered - ESX5.1

For anybody's future reference, I spoke to HP and ESXi5.1 is not technically supported with SIM7.1.  They instructed me to upgrade to 7.2 which went smoothly.  After the upgrade, I had to restart the CIM Server service on my esx servers and then run an Identify Systems on all the impacted servers to clear out the issues.

We'll see if this fixes the issue over the next week.