cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I expecting too much

Mazda
Regular Advisor

Am I expecting too much

Is it too much to ask that I just select all my servers on the network and say "you are now going to communicate, as you should, with this SIM server. I want all SNMP settings fixed and all machines to use the Version Control Repository on my SIM Server"

There has to be a better way. I am finding that I am forced to manually log in to every server and configure SNMP and Version Control. And even then it still does not want to communicate with SIM. I just dont get it.
6 REPLIES
Bengt Sjoberg
Frequent Advisor

Re: Am I expecting too much

Have you tried to use the options under the Configure menu in SIM?
If you set Version control and SNMP settings on one machine you can then copy those settings to the other machines.
I have done this several times and it works just fine.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

'Configure or Repair Agents' is just what you need. It will use OS authentication to get the agents set to correctly communicate. Once that is done, you can distribute the Version Control settings with 'Replicate Agent Settings.'
Mazda
Regular Advisor

David, thanks but thats not it. Here is what I do -

Select a machine from the list that is "system type=unknown". HS = green tick, VPM = 'i', ES = orange triangle. There is no product name or OS name. If I run a data collection on this machine it fails instantly. Once the machine is selected I choose Configure, Configure or repair agents. Then click next at the Verify Target Systems page. BTW on the this page the 'Tool launch OK?' is Yes. On the enter credentials page I enter an enterprise admin account (I have tried two different accounts both with the same results). Click next.
I then untick, on the Configure or Repair Settings page, SSH and wbem events. I type in a basic password for older agents and click 'run now'. Heres the error I get....

Error when trying to establish SSH connection. Check username/password.
kschafer
Advisor

If you haven't already, you have to install SSH on the windows client, as that is what the Configure or Repair Agents tool uses.

OpenSSH is available as a windows install, iirc.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

SSH for Windows 'should be' a thing of the past.

When version 8 of SIM is released....I will consider using it.

Gone are the days when putting up with poorly written software was tolerated.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Solution - Don't bother with SIM