4714 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any fix?? HP SIM, VM Guests & few srvrs; unknown or unmanaged

SEBEMISMNUSA
Frequent Advisor

Any fix?? HP SIM, VM Guests & few srvrs; unknown or unmanaged

Is there any fix for the issue listed at the HP thread
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=973849
VMGuests unknown?

I thought this may had been fixed with an accidentially update to Pegagus WMI mapper 2.2 from 2.1 during a failed attempt to update to HP SIM 5.1 (see
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1091862 for details).

The HP SIM 5.0 sp # 5 (with Pegasus WMI mapper from the 5.1 updates ) run a system identification on 7,500 computers. The system subtype stayed at Virutal Machine Guest with the system type as server. This use to set the system type to unknown or unmanaged.

But . . . when this HP SIM ran computer discovery was run of over 160,000 TCP/IP addresses, the system type switched back to unknown or unmanaged. The computer servers were listed in the other column. This problems appeared again.

I am aware of the "interesting" workarounds. What I am looking for is a permanent fix.

End

12 REPLIES 12
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

It looks like the culprit is still the WMI Mapper service. Although a newer version was included in SIM 5.1, there will be another rev of the WMI Mapper that will probably release in the coming month or so. They have identified a couple of issues (one of which is in WMI itself) where things don't return correctly; hence the unknown/unmanaged.

In SIM 5.1, enhancements were also made so that flip-flop doesn't occur as often too based on non-updated information during the daily Id task and such. This should help out in addition to the WMI Mapper update.
fishmn
Regular Advisor

Having worked with some of the fine behind the scenes folks at HP on this issue in our environment, I can tell you they are not sitting on their hands. This is a very difficult problem with a lot of variables. If you've ever setup your SIM server in debug mode you'll get an idea of the complexity of this beast. In all fairness they could just punt and say this is a virtualization issue, but I don't expect that to happen.

One interesting note in my config is during the troubleshooting we setup the WMI mapper service as a proxy on one of our vm servers. This service still runs on this server in addition to the SIM server.. and guess what it is one of 3 vm servers that is correctly identified in SIM.. and survives all id and discovery tasks.. all others are unknown. I haven't figured out how/why the other two are being identified correctly.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You might also considering honing your autodiscovery ranges or breaking them up into successive days. If you're pinging 160,000 addresses and each can complete in 1 second and if HP SIM spawns 3 processes to do the pinging, your best case is to complete in 14+ hours (and during that time at minimum the Server Status Polling task needs to run 175 times). Since you have 7500 systems, there are 152,500 IP addresses that don't respond, so HP SIM will have multiple retries on those, taking even longer.
Jeff Cottrill_1
Advisor

Response to Darrin's comments:

I don't believe the WMI Mapper is the problem.

After a failed 5.1 upgrade attempt, we had to reinstall 5.0 SP5 and restore the database. All is working as it did prior to the upgrade attempt, but with WMI Mapper 2.2

Also, on a separate 5.1 fresh install, I removed 2.2 and installed 2.1. Did not make a difference. No matter what I tried, 5.1 would not collect WBEM information from any server

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

The WMI Mapper hasn't been released yet with the 'fix'; its still work in progress. Regardless of the updated WMI Mapper though, you should be getting WMI information from some machines. If you do a search in the top left of SIM for "WBEM" or do a custom search on the WBEM protocol, does anything come back? In HP SIM under the Options task (Protocol Settings/WMI Mapper), make sure at least one WMI Mapper is listed (typically the HP SIM server). If that is set, and the WMI Mapper service is running, it must be a firewall blocking the port (5989).
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

The new WMI Mapper was released, version 2.3.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/8220.html

J.Kopp
Advisor

Hi all,
Could any1 confirm that new WMI Mapper 2.3 fixes the problem with VM Guests unknown?

Thx and cheers.
Cop
Fabian Sanchez_1

i'm having the same issue. any update will be helpful. i know theres a fix if you enable wbem but i dont want to do that.

if indeed that is the only resolution i'll have to create a seperate instance of hpsim for the vm's, possibly on a vm.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

We are also having this problem - most of our ESX guests are not recognized as virtual machines. They simply show up as unknown or unmanaged. These are mostly Linux boxes. If anyone can shed some light on this we'd greatly appreciate it.