1752590 Members
3263 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any fix?? HP SIM, VM Guests & few srvrs; unknown or unmanaged

SEBEMISMNUSA
Frequent Advisor

Permanent fix (mentioned with empathy as I spent countless hours in resolving this)

Update to the
Pegasus WMI Mapper for HP Systems Insight Manager to version 2.4 (18 Oct 07)

Search on "WMI Mapper for HP Systems Insight Manager" at hp's web site.
Download and install this file
WMIMapper2_4_0.msi (2.3 MB) 18 Oct 2007
as displayed in the attached JPEG file.

or try this web page
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-aeb689f58db74128b59af142ce&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=372323

I also found version 2.3 worked, too; however, ***versions prior to 2.3 **** have the above mentioned defect. I have repeatedly proven this.

Other details on my HP SIM installation:

Windows 2003 Server with service packs and numerous Microsoft updates installed
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with sp # 4
Systmes Insight Manager 5.0 with SP 5 - Windows C.05.00.02.00
with HP version 7.8 MIB updates installed
on a HP Proliant DL360 g4
Searching on over 235,000 TCP/IP addresses.
This large search only works when Java memory settings are made (please review my other postings at this forum)

I have run the 235,000 TCP/IP address search mutilple time. All VMware ESX servers and VMware guest computers remain correctly identified. Nothing else worked.

End
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Geez, if Scott had to go through all that just to get his ESX servers and guests identified correctly I shudder to think what kind of hoops us Linux admins will have to jump through to accomplish the same.

Can someone at HP either admit there is a bug in the software or tell me how to fix this? I have had a ticket open with HP for weeks and no one seems to be able to resolve it. Last I heard it was being escalated to some higher level inside the organization, but no word back.

Our decision to purchase the VMM pack hinges on whether this works or not, and I"m sure other customers are in the same boat.
SEBEMISMNUSA
Frequent Advisor

Once "all the correct" settings are made to HP SIM 5.0 sp # 5, it works very well for what it is intended to do.

Settings for Microsoft Windows 2003 with sp # 1, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with Sp # 4

1. Pegasus WMI Mapper 2.3 for HP SIM or above, available since February 2007 at HP's web site. I updated to 2.4 (Oct 18 2007). Version 2.4 works fine, too.

2. Sun Java VM settings for installations for above 600 hundred computer servers,

real or virtual and very large TCP/IP range scans; this is now over 200,000; it works; it takes days to complete (almost a week)

This setting is a must when monitoring over five hundred computer servers and large range scans.

MX_JVM_OPTS=-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m

I am limited as I installed Windows 2003 Server *Standard* Edition with a 4 GB RAM and a 4 GB pagefile limit. If I have a larger installation, I would use Windows 2003 Server *Enterprise* Edition, with 8 GB of RAM or more, or a different OS that can handle more RAM.

I do not use HP VMM (sorry, HP SIM was not working earlier in 2007 - due to the above issues)
I am not going to purchase addons when the core component is having issues.
Note to HP: Document these above settings. You may be able to sell plugins.

End