New Discussion юеВ

Re: Application Error Trap (11004): Insight Manager Alert

SOLVED
Go to solution
SebastianT
Advisor

Application Error Trap (11004): Insight Manager Alert

Hello,
I am not having much luck finding more details about a "Application Error Trap" on a server.
This is what my alert is stating:
"An application has generated an exception. Specific error information is contained in the variable cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc."
and
"The HP Management Agents have detected a process exception: PID: 5188 - DESC: extract "

I am having a hard time finding anything about this in the System Management Homepage. Nor was I able to find the variable "cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc" on this server.

Any suggestion in helping to find more details on what caused this alert would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Seb
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should be able to identify the server that is generating the message.
From that server if you go to Control Panel and fire up the HP Management Agents GUI you'll probably find that under the SNMP Settings tab you've got "Enable the Application Exception Trap" box checked.
So, there's an application on that server that is generating an exception trap. The description is extract, whether that's the name of the executable or batch job I don't know.
SebastianT
Advisor

Thank you for the reply Rob.

We do have the "Enable the Application Exception Trap" enabled, as I have found it in the Control Panel, HP Management Agents.

I would like to find exactly what process caused this trap. I think I know what application caused it. But just want to confirm, by checking or obtaining more info from the variable cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc.
As the application trap error states: "Specific error information is contained in the variable cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc."

Where is this variable on this server, and how do I obtain the information that it contains?

Thanks,
Seb
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You should be able to find the information in the Windows Event Log.
SebastianT
Advisor

This is what I see in the event log:

Foundation Agent:
The HP Management Agents have detected a process exception: PID: 5188 - DESC: extract
[SNMP TRAP: 11004 in CPQHOST.MIB]

Not much detail here either.

Still I am not clear what type of information would be in the "cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc" and where to find it on the server?

Thanks,
Seb
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

What process has a PID of 5188?
SebastianT
Advisor

Thank you David!

I think I found it. The process is called Extract.exe, and it is run by the application which I thought was the cause for this application trap.

I think this thread can be closed.

Thanks to both Rob and David for the help.
SebastianT
Advisor

Found the answer as directed by David, checking on the processes running in Task Manager.

However I am still unclear what this means:

"An application has generated an exception. Specific error information is contained in the variable cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc."

Where is this "cpqHoSwPerfAppErrorDesc" variable? Is this just useless info in the application trap message?

I'll monitor for future traps of this kind, if they will contain the same message.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I think the specific information is the PID and the Description which HPSIM has extracted.

You can look through the MIB itself to see the details of what it is extracting. See the directory:
C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\mibs

Contained in the SNMP Trap sent by the HP Agents are brief details associated with variables. The MIB is used to give a bit more detail around these.
I don't believe there's any more information to be had if that's what you're looking for.
You've told the agents to send an SNMP Trap if they detect an application exception. They've done that, fired off the snmp trap with the details and the MIB has presented it's definition of that at the other end. SNMP trap info does tend to be a bit brief.