1752273 Members
4628 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Applying agents to multiple HP servers

Mich2w
Occasional Advisor

Applying agents to multiple HP servers

What is the best way to apply HP Insight Management Agents to a number of servers, without needing to logon to each server individually?

Is there a way of doing this from a central HP management server?

tia
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You should really be installing the ProLiant Support Pack, not just the agents. This will have all the drivers, utilities and agents that are tested together and required for instrumentation.

The HP Software Update Manager packaged with the PSP lets you discover systems and push the Support Pack.

HP SIM, if that's what your ultimate destination is, can perform an "Initial ProLiant Support Pack Install" from the deploy menu.
Mich2w
Occasional Advisor

If I deploy HP SIM will this allow me to deploy the following to a range of servers?

HP Insight Management Agent
HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility

What are the recommendations for deploying HP SIM, can it be done to a file server for example or is it recommended to have a separate server with this specific role?

Thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Mich2w

In case you don't have HP SIM

you can use HP SUM
you can get it downloading Proliant Support Pack(PSP)

after that extract file and look for hpsum.exe that can let you select a list of host and update Agents/drivers/online firmware like system ROM

see my link I attached the way to do it

in my case I needed to update System ROM (online version) so what I did was download the .exe files and copy them (system rom for one server and System rom for the other server) in the same PSP folder and in the picture 7 select ALLOW NON-BUNDLE PRODUCTS that will discover any other .exe that was copied in the folder and HP SUM will discover target HOST and says what needs to be updated in the target HOSTs

http://karlochacon.googlepages.com/HPSUM.zip

in case you have any doubt let me know

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mich2w
Occasional Advisor

Cool, appreciate the tip on HP SUM.

Is the HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility included in the PSP?

Also would it be recommended to apply these updates in an outage window, to allow servers to be rebooted and for network traffic? Are there any recommendations for how many servers to apply the PSP using HP SUM simultaneously?

Thanks for your help

Mich2w
Occasional Advisor

A little research helped me to answer my question about HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility. Yes it is in the PSP - Filename: cp009166.exe

Just after some best practices on using HP SUM now if anyone cares to chip in again. Obviously use HP SUM on 1 server per site, and potentially have an outage for the PSP deployment.

Cheers
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You will need reboots, the PSP's contain a number of drivers as well as the agents.