108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Assign/add comments to events without having full administrative rights

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tooling
Frequent Advisor

Assign/add comments to events without having full administrative rights

We were using HP Insight Manger 7 SP2.3 and now have implemented HP SIM 5.0 SP4. Our 20 operators working with Insight Manager were used to assign events to their names, add comments (an HP SD event number) and to clear the events.

In HP SIM 5.0 SP4 I see the buttons ASSIGN, CLEAR, PRINT, COMMENTS and DELETE under an event collection. I am a non-restricted user (full configuration rights). Of course we do not want to give full rights to our operators, because they should not be able to alter system security, dicover new devices, alter global systems settings, etc. So I assigned them limited rights within HP SIM. Now the buttons under an event collection have disappeared, except the PRINT button. How to get them back?

I have found out limited users with the CLEAR EVENTS and/or DELETE EVENTS options in their toolbox have the option CLEAR and/or DELETE events in tab OPTIONS-EVENTS-CLEAR/DELETE EVENTS. But this option is not very convenient (first have to make a collection of the events you want to clear/delete). And assigning and adding comments options still remain missing.

In HP Insight Manager 7 SP2.3 clearing, deleting, assigning and adding comments was possible, even with assigned Operator rights.
Why not in HP SIM 5.0 SP4???
Is there a fix coming up?

We are now using HP Insight Manager 7 SP2.3 again because this security problem...
5 REPLIES 5
Tooling
Frequent Advisor

Re: Assign/add comments to events without having full administrative rights

THIS MEANS:

UPGRADE VERSION, DOWNGRADE FUNCTIONALLITY ???
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Perry.
You are right, SIM 5 dos not allow this functionnality. There was a workaround with SIM 4 (changing the PrivilegeCode of the users that would have to Clear/delete the events) but it does work with SIM 5. I tried to use it with the Users/Groups, no luck.
On this point, SIM is as bad a Dell IT Assistant.
There are many threads on this subject on the forum, but no replies from HP for the moment.
Tooling
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply Olivier.
Your story is the same I read everywhere across this forum. Why HP does not take this issue seriously beats me...
The implementation of HP SIM now being offered to their customers only provide a good solution for small companies, at which the administators are also doing operator tasks. In larger companies it not very smart to give operators that much administrative right on monitoring systems that they could kill the complete system (or even disturb the whole network by initiating huge discoveries). All options available for Operators can be used by them, else you must not offer these in the GUI. Because I am working for a quite large enterprise I will try to get our problem via other channels to them within HP who are responsable for queueing customer requests. I have the impression the "Operator request" is somewhere at the end of the line of the customer requests now.

For now we are back to working with HP Insight Manager 7 SP2.3.........
Emmanuel Coolen

Hi,
I'm using:
Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.2 with SP2 - Windows
Build version: C.05.02.02.00
Build date: 2008-07-04 10:23
Patches:
HOTFIX52_002.jar Tue, 7/15/2008, 5:07 PM GMT
HOTFIX52_003.jar Wed, 7/16/2008, 2:05 PM GMT

I did configured such access for a user as follow:
1- clear/delete/assign events
2- view system page (no shm allowed).

In order to do so I have created a custom toolbox and assigned the following rights:

1- clear/delete/assign events:
Category / Configuration tool
. Action Events
. Assign Events
. Clear Events
. Comment Events
. Delete Events

2- view system page (no shm allowed):
Category / View
. System Page

Tooling
Frequent Advisor