1753257 Members
5429 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Association of Onboard Administrators keeps getting removed

Princes
Advisor

Update: still an issue in HP SIM v7.3 with latest Hotfix pack. Also still an issue with OA v4.22.

Is this going to be looked at HP or have we forgotten HP SIM in the rush to rebrand and re-position the whole HP Management Tools division as OneView.....

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

SIM 7.4 is due out probably within a month. Support for SIM is difficult to get, for sure, but I am not sure if OneView is the reason or not. At least there are normal hotfixes coming out, even though this issue is very old.
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Also here we see this problem on hp sim 7.3 and the latest OA.

HP support could not really give the right sollution till now.

Did any one already solved this issue ?

sterls27
Frequent Advisor

I have noticed that it appears to not be occurring as frequently since I split up the identification tasks.  I created one group for the servers and another group for the chassis components (OA, iLO's, etc.), with them running about 4 hours apart and I haven't lost any associations...unless the iLO was actually not responding.  This is with HP SIM 7.3, latest patches and SQL express.  It would be interesting to know if people affected by this issue are running a full SQL version or the express edition that's included with HP SIM.  

Also, when I have lost associations, usually re-running the discovery task with just the OA IP brings everything back into order...I have not had to delete any systems in order for them to be associated properly.

Princes
Advisor

I'll try splitting up the Identification Tasks as you suggest. Running another Identification or Discovery Task against the OA does not make any difference however. Only deleting the whole enclosure and all of its associations (not a small task either hunting down all the switch modules, iLO's, VM's, blades and rack), and then re-discovering the OA seems to return the enclosure to being fully managed and monitored, a situation that sadly only then last around 4-5 days until the problem re-occurs.

Rodd Masteller
Advisor

HP SIM 7.3 running on Linux RedHat varient (Oracle Enterprise Linux) with Oracle 11g DB on same server as SIM application.  The system has been running for a few months without any systems discovered.  I finally got around to it and put a bunch of systems in on Sunday and Monday of last week (8 - 9 days ago).  Everything was fine, until I modified the Hardware Status Polling for Servers job from the default.

Factory default:

5 minute discovery timeout, 1 retry, run every 5 minutes.

I modified to:

5 minute discovery timeout,  2 retries, run every 20 minutes.

I did this around 9:00am today and around 4:00pm got flooded with Association Removed messages.  But, they are not all from our blade chassis / OA systems.  We have stand-alone rack-mount DL380 G6/G7/G8 systems (no shared storage or anything) in remote facilities that also generated these messages.

This is frustrating that this has been a problem for over a year!!

Rodd Masteller
Advisor

Actually, more than a year:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/BL20p-Association-Removed/td-p/4639317#.VFlGtMk005g

Maybe it is not a bug, but a lack of understanding on how these jobs work, what they do, and how they should be configured?  I just mention that because mine was fine until I changed the job definition.  Plus, I never saw this on the SIM 7.2 environment we had running for a long time, and people here say it had the 'bug'.