4949 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Attempting to populate VCRM

InsightBlues
Occasional Advisor

Attempting to populate VCRM

Hello,

I have had a problem updating the VCRM on my Insight server, when I go to Tools, and select Version Control Repository Manager, and I select my VCRM server, (which is trusted, and has it listed as trust by certificate), I get the following error for Contents of Version Control Repository:

Error retrieving repository. Ensure the Version Control Repository Manager (VCRM) is installed and running. Be sure a trust relationship is established with the repository device. Finally, the VCRM may not respond if it is in the process of updating its catalog. In this case simply try again later.

-

I have seen a thread on here where a person has had to go and move their repository, and it worked, but I found after rebooting, you have to move it, this has gotten very frustrating for me.

I've reinstalled VCRM several times and as well, the latest HP SIM is loaded on the server, (HP SIM 5.0 SP2)

The VCRM is on a Vmware server, the virtual is using windows 2003 R2 32 bit OS

Thank you
9 REPLIES 9
Maxim Revutskiy
Valued Contributor

Re: Attempting to populate VCRM

Latest SIM is 5.2 SP2
InsightBlues
Occasional Advisor

I meant 5.2 SP2
InsightBlues
Occasional Advisor

Also, this is a the thread I am referring to, and this is not an acceptable solution because it will break again:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1224507755648+28353475&threadId=1205765
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I would not trust VCRM working on a virtual machine. So much of how VCRM work relies on the system management homepage SMHP and the insight agents IMA .

Stick it on a 300,400,500,600,700 series proliant. Its only a fileshare so shouldn't really affect anything. But it does like SMHP and IMA around.
InsightBlues
Occasional Advisor

I just did that, placing the repository on another machine, it does work, but I don't know for how long..
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've got HPSIM and the VCRM on the same virtual server and they work fine. That does have an SMH as installed by HPSIM.

For VCA Access to the VCRM I've always set up a local account on the VCRM Server and used that for access.

There also needs to be a Trust Relationship established for things to work.
Any reason why you want the VCRM on a server separate from the HPSIM Server?
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

It's ok it run the VCRM in a VM - It's supported.

Using more than one VCRM is a good idea if you have a slow WAN - this was you can point the VCA to a local VCRM.

I suspect that ig you go to the SMH and select VCRM it works fine however when you try to go to it from SIM you die.

If you have a lot of items in your repositoy it SIM will give up on it and assume it can't talk to it...tell SIM to wait a bit longer so....

You have a very large repository and / or a slow VCRM.

By default SIM only waits 15 seconds to retrieve all the VCRM data which is very commonly not enough time

The fix is to edit globalsettings.props
http_request_timeout=15 change to 60

Run mxconfigrefresh and your problem should be resolved.

Martin2000
Occasional Visitor

I am running SIM & VCRM on same VM and changing this setting resolved issue for me.

@Gordon Leonard wrote:

The fix is to edit globalsettings.props
http_request_timeout=15 change to 60

Run mxconfigrefresh and your problem should be resolved.

TrevorT
Occasional Advisor

I tried several different values, up to 270, and it still didn't work. 

As a last resort I put in '600'.  But I did it for both "http_request_timeout" and ALSO for "VCRM_timeout".  Anyway, that worked.