1753354 Members
5118 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Automatic Event Handling no e-mails

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Bob, NIC events usualy are NIC's that era enabled but have no cable. So the adapter is fine but SIM sees the disconnected NIC as major error. If the ESX server has a SNMP agent you should still have the SMH where you can check the status. If the server uses the later 5.5 WBEM agents you no longer have a SMH. In your case you should still be able to check the SMH for the error. Be sure to clear the ESX server before changing NIC settings..
Kind regards,

Andrew
mrigendra
Occasional Visitor

exactaly the same issue i am facing with mixed environment.

keep this thread going guys i may get resolution here..

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there, The main problem is that there are to much ways to get event and hardware info information. All these conflicting ways of monitoring interfere and lead to errors. I will try to explain where to use what protocol and alway stick with only one protocol per server. I must say with the Gen8 and above with AMS things are getting better, but then you need to delete all other protocols on the OS. All communications work with the ILO. This is a great improvement over the root and admin credentials needed in the past. Don't forget to set your credentials in discovery jobs instead of in the global settings. If you don't the credentials you deleted for a Gen8 or higher server will get added again and will lead to errors in datacollection and conflicting events/statusses.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Bob Zabaga
Advisor

Okay, thanks. I have successfully changed over a few G9's to use AMS/iLO SNMP. I had to do "configure -> configure or repair agents" then pick the AMS option at the top. I also had to set up the credentials for the iLO. I'd like to do this globally but that didn't work for me. After setting up and running my repair agents task, it failed with bad creds. So I enterd the credentials on that specific system's iLO settings. Then it worked. Not a big deal at the moment...that's the least of my problems.

Hey - on the G9 server's iLO management screen, next to the SNMP, there's an Alertmail tab. See screenshot. I don't think I need to do this - because HP SIM is sending the alert e-mail when it gets an snmp trap. If I set up email on iLO, I'd probably get double the alerts...I assume if you don't have HP SIM, you'd then use that to send your alerts. Does that sound right?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Bob,

On the second part, you are correct i would only set the SNMP part. This is enough. For the ilo part you can use powershell for mass config on the ILO, look here for more info http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5440658&lang=en&cc=us

Kind regards,

Andrew
mrigendra
Occasional Visitor

HI Andrew,

what about the SNMP where we not getting alerts but can see issues when click on health status.

do you recommend any seeting which can resolve this issue.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I would open a new post and i can help you there. This was already discussed here so to keep things clear for each other let's start a new topic for you question oke ?

I will go into further detail when you opened a new post.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Bob Zabaga
Advisor

Hi Andrew. I'll check that out. I use Powershell off & on for remote admin, so i'm familiar with it. Over the last day or so I configured the AMS/iLO SNMP on 3 servers. From the configuration screen in iLO, you can send a test trap. With all 3, as soon as I clicked the "test" button, HP SIM showed the alert. But I only ever received an e-mail for machine "a". the other 2 machine's alerts produced no e-mail. And the one email I got was immediate. That problem is still at the top of my list....I always get my alerts, but only a portion end up sending an e-mail. That defeats the purpose of most of SIM for me. IT management is just going to say, "what happens when hardware fails after hours or on the weekend and nobody gets alerted." I can manually log in to SIM and check hardware status during business hours but the e-mailing problem is preventing SIM from being a hardware monitoring solution. I'm going to install Wireshark on my HP SIM server to watch and see if SIM even *tries* to send out an e-mail - wireshark can show me attempted SMTP traffic over tcp port 25....this will let me know if SIM is not even trying to send an e-mail, or if it is but its getting blocked or lost during transmission. I suspect its not attempting to send. If you have any thoughts about the e-mail issue I'll definitely listen!
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you only get an email for one server! Could you show the events for an other server that's  receiving traps that you don't get emails for. And just to be sure did you change the auto rule clear the event also?

With the clear option you can tell if the event triggered your auto job for clean and email. I have had muliple setups of SIM and almosg never had any problem forwarding events. As you say tha's the whole point of monitoring so keep me informed with your progress...

Kind regards,

Andrew
Bob Zabaga
Advisor

Running Wireshark on the HP SIM server and monitoring for SMTP (tcp port 25) traffic helped me resolve this. My Wireshark showed successful communication between HP SIM and my Exchange SMTP mail server every time. From Wireshark, I could see my SMTP/mail server showed an "email queued" status for every alert. What was happening? Microsoft Outlook on my pc (and others who watch for these emails) was classifying these emails as "junk" and automatically putting the incoming alert emails into the "junk" folder in Outlook. Why would some come in to my inbox and others be classified as junk by Outlook? No idea. That makes no sense to me. The solution is to go to Outlook Safe Senders and add "hpsim@mycompany.com" to the safe senders list. The Junk/Safe Senders location varies depending on what version of Outlook you use. I think the e-mail problem has been resolved! So the bulk of HP SIM is doing what I need. I just have to figure out what servers need to use SNMP vs. WBEM vs. AMS/iLO then configure....which means adding or removing monitors from servers. Some older servers were never loaded with the HP WBEM component, but I can add that where needed. I probably have to figure out what to do with the servers where I'm monitoring with AMS/iLO - those machines all already are monitored in SIM using window's snmp service (and/or WBEM)....but as you said before, I can use AMS/iLO and disable those other monitoring methods. The only possible "gotcha" is that we have other software products that gather SNMP data from servers, so I may not be able to turn off the standard windows SNMP service on those servers. Maybe then I just tell SIM not to use the standard windows SNMP service if I'm doing AMS/iLO. -thanks for all the help Andrew Bob