1752299 Members
5265 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Automatically set Version Control Support Pack

Fraser Dickson
Occasional Contributor

Automatically set Version Control Support Pack

I'm not sure if this is possible, however thought I would ask.

At my firm we automate our server build process using Altiris. I have created a custom Support Pack and all this during the build process using \\server\share\setupc.exe /target:%computername% bcpaXXX.xml which correctly installs all the relevant bits on my servers.

However after the build process is completed, I still have to manually open up Insight Manager, into the HP Version Control agent -> Change Agent Settings -> and then configure the "Reference Support Pack" to match my firm's standard one.

Does anyone know a way of automating this?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

Re: Automatically set Version Control Support Pack

In hpsim you can choose configure then replicate agent settings. this will replicate the settings of a configured server to you new servers.

In the new PSP 7.90 there is an option to configure certain installs. Hopefully if you configure and then run the setup then this should use the configured settings.

seven
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

You can pre-configure VCA component's settings before deploying to any target system using setupc.exe.

you can pre-configure VCA Component,
1) Using VCRM's "configure a component" option.
or
2) Using HP Remote Deployment utility (setup.exe in SS 7.70 or less)
Andrew Kwiecien
Occasional Advisor

I'm struggling try to accomplish the same objective but I don't think it's possible. There a lot of positing on this subject but none so far resulted in automating VCA agents setting distribution. If anyone has had different results I would love to hear about that. Not using HP├в s RDP forces me to waste a lot of time clicking in SIM to roll out each server, quite counter-productive overall
shocko
Honored Contributor

Looking for an answer on this myself. It is possible to configure the VCA agent to point at the VCRM and also provide it a password (i.e. using hpsum_config.exe to pre-configure the PSP prior to install) but i would also like to not have to run automated taks in HP SIM 5.2SP2 to set the VCA reference support pack! It's a pity HP haven't addressed this.

:(
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

The version control information is stored in a file called "C:\hp\hpsmh\data\cgi-bin\vcagent\VCAgent.Options".

So what I do is configure a "gold system" with the support pack assignment I want, then copy the Options file to a location where a script grabs it and copies it to each machine I deploy the support pack to.

I don't use Altiris, but I am guessing you can do the same with it. In my case I just use the HPSUM utility to deploy the support pack silently and then in the same VBS/batch script file, I copy the Options file to the target.

On Error Resume Next

CmdLine1 = "cmd.exe /c DEL /Q"
CmdLine2 = """C:\Users\Public\Desktop\HP System Management Homepage.lnk"""
CmdLine = CmdLine1 & " " & CmdLine2

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
intReturn = WshShell.Run("\\UNC_TO_Source_Files\hpsum.exe /use_latest /allow_non_bundle_components /use_snmp /use_wmi /express_install", 0, TRUE)
intReturn = WshShell.Run("regedit /S \\UNC_TO_Reg_File\RemoveCPQTEAM.reg", 0, TRUE)
intReturn = wshShell.Run("cmd.exe /c copy /y \\UNC_TO_Options_File\vcagent.options C:\hp\hpsmh\data\cgi-bin\vcagent", 0, True)
intReturn = WshShell.Run(CmdLine, 0, TRUE)
WshShell = NULL

My Reg file removes the Teaming system tray application, which I don't want.

Nelson