Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful problems with SIM 5.2

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Awful problems with SIM 5.2

I am having the following problems after upgrading to SIM 5.2:

1) Whenever a server is rebooted, it loses its identity in SIM and shows up by its serial number instead of originally registered host/dns name.

2) Some servers, after a reboot, come back as unmanaged devices and I have to manually run an Identify job on them to get to correctly show up as a ProLiant server.

Anyone else having these problems?
Nelson
9 REPLIES
Lucky Luciano
Regular Advisor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Hi there is an option in system properties to disable discovery changing a name. Did you try it?
I admire your fashionable running shoes!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Thanks for the suggestion, but:

a) Is there a way to do this in mass? I have 400 servers in our SIM and I don't want to do this for each device.

b) I should not have to...this worked fine in SIM 5.1.

This is really starting to be a problem. Everytime a server gets rebooted it loses it's name and show up by it's serial number instead. It also turns into a device that is in "Suspended Monitoring" mode and SIM will not let be bring it out of suspended mode.

I have to manually delete the device and rediscover it.

No one else is having this problem?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Nelson,
That doesn't sound right - you shouldn't need to stop Discovery changing the details.

I had a similar issue with 5.1, I disabled the Daily Device Identification task as it seemed to be conflicting with the Discovery Task.

It took me a while and I cannot remember the details but I think I managed to identify which of the tasks was causing the issue. I seem to recall part if the issue was related to wbem as well.

I still have my Daily Device Identification task disabled. I'm still on 5.1 though.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

My daily identification job runs once per day at 4:05 PM. It is now 9:23 PM and I have been testing with 2 servers (Citrix servers not in use on a Sunday night). Everytime I reboot them the names change in SIM from the DNS host name to the serial number of the server and they become "suspended". I am able to repeat this over and over. I am well past the daily identify job time.

I also thought it might be the 5 minute HW status job, so I changed that to 20 minutes and made sure I rebooted inside the 20 minute time frame so that I was sure the job was not running. That did not help.

I am now upgrading the two servers from SP 7.8 to SP 7.91 to see if that helps. But man, if I have to upgrade all my physical servers to 7.9 just to fix this problem I am going to be one upset HP customer :)

Thanks
Nelson
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

I add a comment but I can't link it to the original problem described in this post.
After upgrading my SIM test server to 5.2, two of the servers in the DB had their names changed to the IP address.
I ran a "mxnode -a " with the servername, after adding the entry in the hosts file, and all went back to normal. No new issue since.
The automatic discovery is disabled.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Thanks for the tip.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

I believe I resolved the problem:

1) During the 5.1 to 5.2 upgrade, the HP Remote Support package upgrade failed. I just ignored it and figured I would deal with it later.

2) Since that was the only thing that went bad with the upgrade so I figured maybe that was causing the problem (I have no idea why it would - but I was running out of ideas). I ripped out the old software and whatever portions succeeded from the failed upgrade and read the README file this time to discover using RDP (terminal server) is bad for the install and configuration of the Remote Support package. So I use iLO console and reinstalled the Remote Support package. It installed perfectly this time.

3) I rebooted my test server twice and it worked normally both times - the name did not change.

DO NOT USE RDP TO UPGRADE FROM 5.1 to 5.2 - sit at the console (or use iLO).

The moral of the story - read the freaking README. Now I will proceed to kick myself in the butt 100 times so that the next time I do an upgrade, I actually remember to do this.

Nelson
Christopher Younger
Occasional Advisor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Although, you can use RDP with the /console switch. I found out (accidentally) the Remote Software will install the agents in the background *after* you think the HPSIM installation is complete.

CMD boxes kept popping up while I was in the RDP console session--but after a while they stopped and when I checked Remote Software everything was good.

Just an FYI.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Awful problems with SIM 5.2

Thanks for the tip.

FYI - my problem is not fixed. But some servers seem to fix themselves. So my test server is OK now, but other servers keep having the problem (hence why I thought my problem had been fixed).

Saddly, the Remote Support upgrade failure had nothing to do with my problem and I am back to square one.

Nelson