Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753437 Members
5129 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL25p Blade Enclosure -- not fully showing up in HPSIM?

EricP
Frequent Advisor

BL25p Blade Enclosure -- not fully showing up in HPSIM?

We have a new BL25p blade enclosure. The individual servers (blades) are showing up in HPSIM as any monitored server. However, the blade enclosure itself shows up incomplete in HPSIM.

In HPSIM, looking at the enclosure, we see the 8 slots for the enclosure, but they are completely blank (Even though we have 4 slots populated and running). There is nothing to click on in the picture of the enclosure. Its just an empty enclosure, with nothing to click on or view.

Also, the power enclosure for this blade enclosure similarly shows up blank. There is just a question mark in each of the slots for the power supplies.

So what am I missing? What needs to be configured?

Note that I am running HPSIM 5.0 with the plug-in 2.0 for the HP BladeSystem Integrated Manager.

Also note that the enclosure shows up correctly in the ILO for each server. If I connect to the ILO and choose the "rack view" -- I can see the enclosure, and the populated blades, and all links work correctly. I should see something similar in HPSIM -- but I don't.

Please help.
12 REPLIES 12
EricP
Frequent Advisor

Check out the attachment, which shows what I am seeing in HPSIM(essentially an empty enclosure).

However, this is populated with 4 blades. And 6 power supplies.
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

Hi eric

the 4 bl25p that are in the enclosure have to be discovered by SIM. (SIM has to be monitoring them)once the servers are discovered then they will appear in the enclosure in SIM.

steven

James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Make sure your blade enclosure firmware is up to date too, this helped me out.
Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor

You might also have to install the latest MIB upgrade kit.
The original HPSIM 5 was using the MIB's from Support Pack 7.30. These MIB's were not quite capable of correctly identifying blade servers and power enclosures. The current MIB upgrade kit upgrades your MIB's on the HPSIM server to version 7.40.
Since last week Support Pack 7.50 arrived, I expect a MIB upgrade package to 7.50 soon.
EricP
Frequent Advisor

Steven: thanks for your reply, but if you look at the 2nd second of my initial post, these servers are in HPSIM already.
EricP
Frequent Advisor

James:

Firmware is up to date (2.30 on the rack/enclosures).

EricP
Frequent Advisor

Ferry:

I have no knowledge of anything called a MIB upgrade kit that needs to be applied to HPSIM.

Where do I find out about this process and how do I determine whether I in fact need this?

Is there a link you can provide? This is news to me.

I thought HPSIM 5 was the latest and included all needed HP .mibs (particularly since it comes with the integrated blade plugin).

EricP
Frequent Advisor

Ferry:

Found the link to the mib upgrades:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/7843.html

Nothing in 7.40 that indicates new support for bl25p blades.

So it doesn't look like that would solve the issue.
M Wheeler

Make sure that the RILO firmware on the blades are up to date, and ensure that the management processor for the blade has been discovered by SIM, then the servers should show up in the chassis in the correct location