1753428 Members
4769 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backing up HP SIM 5

Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

Backing up HP SIM 5

I have HP SIM 5 running on a DL380 G3. The database resides is SQL Server 2000 SP3a. I am using Backup Exec 10 to backup my databases. All the other databases on the server backup without problems. The HP SIM database always comes back with database in use exception and therefore will not back up the database. Has anyone experience this before? What is the resolution? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Benjamin,
We use Veritas 9.1 with SQL agent and we have no problems with HPSIM 5.0 database backup.
Can you post exact error message from Veritas log?
Do you have any erorrs in event viewer of SQL server?
Is Veritas Backup Exec server and SQL server located on same windows server?
Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

The error message from Veritas log is "Database .Insight_v50_0_153951406 was not found, or could not be accessed." Then under the Exceptions heading it says "The item agrsqlsv\Insight_v50_0_153951406 in use - skipped."

The Backup Exec server is a separate server from the SQL server.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

I don't think that problem relates to "database in use" - it is meaningless if you use Veritas SQL agent.
Can you backup this HP SIM database from SQL? (backup database task from Enterpise manager or with "backup database..." command)
Try to copy HPSIM database (with DTS or backup/restore) to new database with another name on same SQL server and then try to backup new database with Veritas.
Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

I backed up and restored the database to another database on the same SQL server. I had no problems with the backup/restore process via Enterprise Manager. Once I had the new test SIM database running I ran a Backup Exec job and it successfully backed up the test SIM database. No exceptions or errors on the backup of the test db.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Very interesting, maybe HP peoples can comment it. I work with Veritas and HPSIM (from IM 7) and never meet such problem.
Last suggestion: do you have any errors when you run DBCC checkdb for HPSIM database?
Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for all the help. I ran dbcc checkdb against the SIM database and it came up with 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors. Any more thoughts?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Benjamin,
if you have some free time you can install another HPSIM server with SQL database on same SQL server and check if you can backup new DB using Veritas.
But maybe most simple way will be just exclude HPSIM database from Veritas backup plan and backup this database using SQL maintenance plan (you can define it in SQL enterprise manager)
Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, but I have had other SIM databases on the SQL server and have had the same issue with them. This is my third attempt.
Benjamin Crill
Occasional Advisor

I would typically be willing to try adding a new setup of SIM, but as this is my 3rd setup with the same problem, I don't think that will gain us anything more then what we already have.