Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748176 Members
4115 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Best method/agents for monitoring blade servers and chassis...

zzzzzxx1
Contributor

Best method/agents for monitoring blade servers and chassis...

I have installed SIM and was curious the best pratice to monitor the health of chassis and our blade servers? Our blades host a variety of VMs, so do I need to install the agents on the core blade system and not the windows servers its running? Or will simple SNMP do the job?

2 REPLIES 2
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Re: Best method/agents for monitoring blade servers and chassis...

I know there is a specific order that is suggested to do the discovery process on an enclosure. I forget the exact order something like; OA, then iLO, then the blade server.

I run SNMP and the agent based client on all my windows servers inside of my enclosures. I'm not a big fan of the agentless monitoring process thru iLO; what happens when iLO stops responding?  I don't believe there is an agent for the OA, just do a discovery of it's IP address.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Best method/agents for monitoring blade servers and chassis...

Hello,

You should first discover the Onboard admin(s), then the ilo's get automaticly discoverd by reading the xml page of the OA. Then you will get the servers by serial. Now you will have to discover the Operating systems. Windows 2003 works with snmp or wbem agents witch you can download if not already installed. Windows 2008 and up are best discovered with wbem. Esx 3 of 4.x uses snmp. Esx 5.x uses wbem and linux is discovered with snmp. When your systems are correctly discovered the serialnumbers will get replaced with the homename. If that does not work you should look at the logs for errors like snmp or wbem config errors(rights)

When you discover the OA gets discovered, you should also see the switches in the enclosures.

Ilo4 systems can be monitored though ilo and if needed the agentless software for OS releated monitoring.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew