New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade servers shown as disabled

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oren.Levi

Blade servers shown as disabled

Hello,
I'm using SIM 5.1 sp1.
When using SIM some of my blade server shown as disabled on the enclosures (c-class and p-class enclosures).
Some of the servers can be found without association to any blade enclosure as if they where standalone server.
I've tried deleting the enclosure and the servers and discover them again but they recognized as before.
I've update the ilo and enclosure firmware to the last versions.
Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
fishmn
Regular Advisor

Have you installed the blade system manager component on your SIM server?
Oren.Levi

blade system manager is installed (i have it in tools-->integrated consoles)
just to clarify, i can see the enclosures in SIM console.
also some of the servers are identified correctly but some don't (even in the same enclosure)
Thank you
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Oren, there is an option in Discovery that is to 'Discover blade servers when its iLO is discovered.' This is for doing 'bare-metal' discovery of the blades before they have an OS installed. When this is enabled, on iLO discovery, HP SIM will create an entry for the host named "Serv_##########" where ### is the S/N and the entry is flagged disabled. Subsequently, when an OS is installed and HP SIM goes and discovers the device as a real, manageable entity with an IP address, HP SIM normalizes the entry with the disabled one.
Oren.Levi

Thank you david for the explanation.

So if I understand correctly, my problem is that SIM doesn't normalize a server after the OS is installed and leave to object: one in the blade enclosure as disabled and another one as the "new" server with the OS installed but not associated to the enclose.

How can I resolve this problem?
Should I turn off the "Automatically discover a server blade when its Integrated Lights Out management processor is identified" option?

Thank you,
Oren
MyMatt
Occasional Advisor

I have the same issue, any solution yet?
MyMatt
Occasional Advisor

According to http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1242792

Downgrade the ROM version will do the trick. In my case, I downgrade the ROm ver of my BL685c G1 from 2008.9.27 to 2008.2.26 resolved the problem.