108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blank Product Name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Blank Product Name

I'm using HP SIM 5.0 SP4. On multiple servers in the all servers list I'm showing blank product names. They do have an OS listed (which makes me believe at least part of the identification process is working on these servers). I checked and double checked SNMP settings and confirmed they are correct (per recommendation from previous posts). All these servers are standard HP servers - several are the same make and model of ones with populated product name. What can I be missing?

Thanks,
Tim McGue
14 REPLIES 14
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What is the state under System Type?

If you click on the Server name, under the Identity Tab, open Product description and see what management protocols have been discovered.

Typically this is SNMP, community names are case-sensitive. And the HPSIM Server needs to be an Allowed Host.

In the above screen you can click the Tools & Links Tab and open the Set System Properties and check that you're using the Global Properties or if you are using Local Properties that they're correct.
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Rob,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Here are answers to your questions:

System Type: Server

Management Protocols: HTTP:, WBEM:1.0, SMH:1, SNMP:1.0

SNMP Config: Checked for case sensitivity and allowed list

Properties: Set as global and not local

Thanks again,
Tim
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Next question would be what kind of Servers, SNMP should detect these.

A way of testing from HPSIM is to pick the IP Address of one of the Servers and then go to Options -> Manage System Types. Click New and then hit the Retrieve from System Type and the enter the IP Address in the box and check the community name is correct.

Hit the Get Response tab. You should be able to go through and get the responses from the Server.

It is these options that allow you to create your owne Server etc. I've created a number for our Sun Servers.
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Rob,

Thanks again. I did the test you suggested. I did the same test for two identical systems - one that has a product name and one that is blank. They both return the same object identifier:

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Not really, that does indicate SNMP is accessing the Server and pulling back data.

You can go through a number of the tabs to build up the response.

What kind of Servers are these?
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

They are HP DL360 G3's.

I'm going to open a case with HP on this topic. I'll post resolution here.

Thanks for all your help Rob. Points forthcoming.

Tim
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

As of right now HP Support feels it is a problem with the version of the PSP running on the blank product name boxes (the one I was testing with was 7.10). I'm going to upgrade those versions and try again.

Tim
pdonisi

I am having the same issue with PSP 7.5
I have several servers that are showing up in SIM5 SP4 with no product name, OS, or system type. On the System Page under the Identity tab for Management Protocols I have HTTP:, SMH:2.0 For some reason SNMP is not showing up even though I have it installed and configured the same as other systems that are working. If I do the Options, Manage System Types, New, Retrieve from system I do get a reply.
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Well, I'm not sure what did it, but I have product names for all my servers now. I believe it might have been related to a reboot of the system but I can't pinpoint it to that. I went into SIM to START to push out the 7.51 PSP when I noticed the product names were already all set.

Tim