Event Source: CimNotify
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 3
Date: 3/21/2005
Time: 2:15:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: %computername%
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( CimNotify ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ."

I've seen older threads that reference an Event ID (4). I am running SIM 4.1 with SP1. Build C.04.01.00.01. Thank you for any help with this issue.

16 REPLIES 16
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: CIMNOTIFY service fails

You don't actually need this service. It can be disabled in most environments.
Jeremy Wheaton
Occasional Contributor

I am no longer getting any pages from SIM since this service will not start up. Is there another way to get pages without this service? Thank you for your response.

-JW
Michael Jay_2
Advisor

If the SMTP host is incorrect (has changed for example) the CIMnotify service would not start. Check in the registry under:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CIMnotify\Parameters\SmtpHost

And see value of the Key Name is reachable. Try and telnet to this host name on port 25. For example if the host name in this key is xyz.company.com see if you can reach it like this:

telnet xyz.company.com

If you get no connection check this is why CIMnotify service is NOT starting.

MJ
sandip n sarangi
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am also facing the similar problem.

I want to add something to what MJ has asked to check for the value of the parameter

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CIMnotify\Parameters
\SmtpHost

In my case the smtpHost parameter does not have a value set.

Please let me know what else needs to be done.

Thank You,

With Regards,
Sandip.
John Francis_1
Frequent Advisor

I am getting a similar error message. You said that the service can be turned off. Is the service name CIMNotify or something else.

Because it is not under HP Insight Manager service. Nor in CIMNotify so trying to figure out what is the name of the service.

thanks and I appreciate your response.
Martin Kirkley
Occasional Contributor

I know this thread is quite old now, but for completeness the service CIMnotify is HP Insight Event Notifier. Here are 3 things that I have found that will resolve the issue of the HomePage not displaying:

1. In Internet Explorer go to Internet Options > Advanced > Security and make sure there is a tick in Use TLS 1.0. If there is not, select it, click OK close you browser and relaunch the HomePage

2. Restart the HP System Management Homepage service

3. Reinstall the Homepage
Server-Support
Super Advisor

where can I download the latest edition of HP Insight Event Notifier application ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

This package is installed when you install the PSP/SPP, i don't see a seperate installer and the service is disabled by default.

The package should be part of the Insight Management Agents. Once you configure the tool by starting C:\Windows\system32\CIMntfy\cimntfy.exe  the service will start and the startup will change to automatic.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Do you mean I can just insert the SPPCUSTOM710.2014_0821.18.iso and then install the missing components?

I was thinking to download the component separately to avoid unwanted reboot / restart of the server. because I need to configure the email alert monitoring in 80+ remote servers.

Best regards,