Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751805 Members
5023 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CPU temperature

Bernie_18

CPU temperature

How can I get SIM to collect the CPU temperature on all my servers? Or is there a command line that will get that info?
21 REPLIES 21
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM collects that data every 5 minutes from ProLiant servers and reflects that in your health status. The agents work together with the Advanced Systems Management Controller to monitor environmentals and to compare them with the factory-set thresholds. If you have traps set up properly to send alerts to HP SIM, any over temp condition will be reported by the agents.
Brent Seizer
Advisor

Yes. I asked a very similar question about 6 weeks ago. I wanted to know how to log the current system temperature every hour. I was told it couldnt be done, and that the system would mearely report an over temp condition.
What is the over temp set at? 80F? 85F?
Nobody knows.
I called Rittal that makes the HP server racks, and still makes the enviromental monitors that HP no longer offers.
They gave me the same answer. They said it doesnt work like that.
I wanted the info so that I couold prove to management that they need to spend more money to upgrade the HVAC.
Without chartable data to prove my point the servers will either burn up or just crash. I love my job.
William_114
Advisor

I'm not sure if you can get SIM to record the temps of your servers. But if your really need to monitor the temperatures and record the data you can use a free program called MRTG.

MRTG is supposed to be used to monitor router traffic, but it will monitor any SNMP value that you ask it too. MRTG can be set to record the CPU and System temp every 5 minutes, then it graphs the information for you and maintains about a years worth of data.

The following information is some of the script file that I use with MRTG to monitor the CPU temp on DL360's and DL380's. It won't make much since until you actually try using MRTG.

Target[«ServerName»-Temp1]: .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.2&.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.2:nopower@«ServerName»
MaxBytes[«ServerName»-Temp1]: 70
Options[«ServerName»-Temp1]: gauge
XSize[«ServerName»-Temp1]: 600
YSize[«ServerName»-Temp1]: 200
Title[«ServerName»-Temp1]: «ServerName» («ServerName».bepc.net): CPU Temperature
PageTop[«ServerName»-Temp1]:

«ServerName» CPU Temperature

YLegend[«ServerName»-Temp1]: Temperature
ShortLegend[«ServerName»-Temp1]: C
Legend1[«ServerName»-Temp1]: Temperature (C)
Legend2[«ServerName»-Temp1]: Temperature (C)
Legend3[«ServerName»-Temp1]: Maximum 5 minute Temperature
Legend4[«ServerName»-Temp1]: Maximum 5 minute Temperature
LegendI[«ServerName»-Temp1]:  % 
LegendO[«ServerName»-Temp1]:
ThreshMaxO[«ServerName»-Temp1]: 60
ThreshProgO[«ServerName»-Temp1]: E:\system\mrtg\bin\thresh\batchscript.bat
ThreshProgOKO[«ServerName»-Temp1]: E:\system\mrtg\bin\thresh\batchscript.bat

and all you have to do to monitor the system temp is change the .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.2&.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.2
to
.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.3&.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.8.1.4.0.3

I hope this will help
Peter Scurr_1

William,
I've installed Perl and have got MRTG to build a web page based on the basic config settings. I'm not entirely sure on what to do with your script and this is my first intro to SNMP, I'm guessing that:
à «ServerNameà »-Temp1 gets replaced with my server name ie i dont need the à » characters? not sure about the -Temp bit.
Also the line "ThreshProgO[à «ServerNameà »-Temp1]: E:\system\mrtg\bin\thresh\batchscript.bat" is the batch file that runs if the temp threshold is reached?

Cheers
Pete
William_114
Advisor

Peter,

I hope this will help to clear things up a little.
Cristian Zanni

Hi, i try to poll with those OID, and it seems that my SNMP agent dont recognize it (ErrorCode: noSuchName).

Better, any polling to and OID that represent compaq (enterprise: 232), return me that error code.
I think that the problem is my snmp agent.

Can u please tellme what snmp agent are you using?
(i have installed the windows standard snmp agent, and i already download the mibs files in my polling server)

thanks a lot.

michael zanga

I had the same question and will try MRTG if anyone has had any sucess. Did anyone?
Phil Slator

I haven't found a way in CIM, but we've just installed an environmental monitoring unit from APC that logs temperature and humidity...might be worth you having a look at that.

Nice and cheap.
William_114
Advisor

The SNMP OID values that your are trying to poll are (as far as I can tell) installed with the HP Agents. I believe you need to be at 7.10 or higher for the values to be there.