1753766 Members
5472 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPU threshold with Event Notification

Ed Stockwell
Occasional Advisor

CPU threshold with Event Notification

I can't seem to figure out how to get a CPU threshold alarm to trigger an Automatic Event email. I can set the CPU thresholds with no problem, but how can I get the Automatic Event Handling to email me when the threshold is exceeded? I have not found any good documentation on this.

Ed Stockwell
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

When a CPU threshold is crossed it will trigger a Major Event, so you could just pick up all Critical Events.
Or at the Select Events section select Event Category, select Proliant Threshold Events. Maybe start with all of these.
Ed Stockwell
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion. Here is where I am at. I am running SIM v C.04.00 and the agent on the server is v7.00.0.0. I have the event set for Proliant Threshold Events with Type Name set to "any".
I have the CPU threshold set to 19 as a warning and 22 as critical just to make sure events are triggered. SIM did pick up on the fact that the hardware is degraded, but just as a minor event. Still no email warnings. I know the email process works, because we were getting log on and log off events with the automatic event I had set yesterday.
Any thoughs on this?
Do I need to push a different agent version to the servers?
Ed Stockwell
Occasional Advisor

Is it problematic to have SIM installed on a Dell server?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

There is nothing that prevents HP SIM from installing on any device that meets the minimum qualifications from the QuickSpecs: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11824_div/11824_div.html#Technical%20Specifications

Make sure you go with the recommended and not the minimums. One thing to note, however, is that non-HP platforms are not part of the QA matrix and therefore are untested and you may experience issues we are not aware of. That may mean a limited ability for customer services to assist you.
Ed Stockwell
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the hardware update, any idea on the threshold problem?
Tim_rg

Hi,

I'm having the same problem here. I've got events triggering on the servers themselves but not on the SIM event logs.
When I look at the overview of the servers I see a list of failures on the servers with CPU usage too high, but I don't get emails on these. I do however get emails for things like pagefile usage events.

Regards,
Tim