108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can HP SIM Monitor Services?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Frickson
Occasional Advisor

Can HP SIM Monitor Services?

I'm just starting to look at SIM. Before I get too far, I would like to know if it will do what I need.

Can it check for running/responsive services, such as Apache, SMTP, POP, IMAP, DNS, MySQL, etc.? Or do I need another network monitor application to do that?

Thanks,
john
5 REPLIES 5
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: Can HP SIM Monitor Services?

In HP Agent ,under PROCESS MONITOR,it can tell any process if it Start,End, event execuble.

Please apply the points for the message,TY
It next to time and date of every message in this thread.

Dan
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

John, since you call out Apache and MySQL specifically, I assume that this is a Linux environment. Unlike in Windows where the Insight agent had to implement a process monitor, in Linux this is a standard feature of the net-snmp stack. See http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/man/snmpd.examples.html for information about process monitoring.
John Frickson
Occasional Advisor

David, yes, it's a Linux environment. I *think* you answered my question, but let me be a little more specific, just to make sure.

1) I would install SIM on some machine.

2) On the web server, I would modify the net-snmp config to monitor httpd. On the DNS server, I would modify the net-snmp config to monitor named. On the Email server, I would modify the net-snmp config to monitor postfix.

3) I would then set up SIM to (poll? receive traps?) snmp on the other machines and alert me if there are any problems.

Do I have that more-or-less correct?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

John, you understand correctly. You would be alerted via SNMP trap.
John Frickson
Occasional Advisor

One more question. Should maybe be a new thread, but as long as I'm already here...

I don't have a spare server that can be dedicated as a CMS. Here's what I have:

DMZ - Webserver (Linux)
DMZ - server for DNS, Email, POP, IMAP, Intranet website (Linux)
Internal - DB, Samba, LDAP Server (Linux)
Internal - Test/QA machine (Linux)
Internal - Windows 2003 Server

Obviously, I can't rely on the stability of the Test/QA machine. The Windows 2003 server gets rebooted fairly frequently, so SIM probably shouldn't go there. That leaves one remaining internal server, and two in the DMZ.

For security, and other reasons, it seems to me that the DB/Samba/LDAP server would be best.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
john