Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1745865 Members
4412 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I Insight Manager to chart Proliant temperature sensors?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MattGGG
Occasional Contributor

Can I Insight Manager to chart Proliant temperature sensors?

I have a need to monitor datacenter temperatures. I could purchase APC temp sensors and deploy a couple per rack. Which made me wonder if I could use Insight Manager as an alternative. Since the Proliant servers have numerous temp sensors, it would be nice if Insight Manager can track these and allow to create charts based on this data. If this works then I would have more temp details for my datacenter without the need to buy additional HW for temp monitoring.

Can this be done? If so, what would I need from a licensing standpoint?

Thanks,
-Matt
5 REPLIES 5
Srihari S
HPE Pro

Re: Can I Insight Manager to chart Proliant temperature sensors?

May be you can lookout white papers around "Data Center Power Control" in the Insight Control Product documentation @ http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/unified/infolibrary_ic.html

Accept or Kudo

Srihari S
HPE Pro

I just fished out further and the above link might not support your requirement fully, probably dynamic sensors for SMART cooling or something of that should help to an fuller extent

Accept or Kudo

Sharath K S
Frequent Advisor

You can look into http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02537396/c02537396.pdf. Insight Control power management provides inlet air temperature graph/chart for servers/enclosure, it also provides trend information.
Graham King
Occasional Contributor

If you have the Insight agents installed on the server then the temperature readings should be accessible via SNMP, so you could use something like SNM (http://sourceforge.net/projects/snm/) to collect the data and produce graphs.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

With the introduction of the c-Class BladeSystem, servers started having ambient temperature sensors to sample air on intake before becoming "dirty" by being exposed to heat from components. ProLiant G5 servers and later also have ambient temp sensors.

With optional licenses for Insight Control, the power management function will gather this info and display it in a map of your datacenter or for an individual rack (this is just one of the many features).

Alternatively, you could gather the data in another tool as suggested above, or similarly in the attached document that shows how to use either RRDtool or MRTG to do something similar (just graphs, not maps like Insight Control does). The doc is ancient, but it still is useful, though you may have to search around a bit with SNMPWALK to find the ambient sensor OID (I don't recall it off the top of my head).