Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753777 Members
7599 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I set SIM to not log out every night?

Russ Wear
Occasional Contributor

Can I set SIM to not log out every night?

Hello all.
I am running HP System Insight Manager 4.2, and I am slightly annoyed that every morning when I check the monitor, I see that SIM logged itself out sometime during the night. I have looked everywhere I can think of to find a setting to not have SIM logout on its own, but I can't see anything. Is there a timeout or registry setting somewhere to disable the autologout feature?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I set SIM to not log out every night?

I'm now on HPSIM 5, but I do not believe HPSIM has ever had an automatic logout fetaure.

Something else must be disconnecting the link, or maybe the network is being congested during backups etc.?
Russ Wear
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Rob. I see that I was not very clear in my post what I mean by logging out. I am talking about the web page that you log into that brings up the home page for SIM. I leave it running all the time on a spare PC so I can always be monitoring the servers, but every day when I come into work, the page is logged out, and sitting at the login screen. This sounds like a minor thing, and I guess it is, but this spare PC is sitting high on a shelf with no mouse or keyboard easily accessible, so it is a pain to have to login every day. It seems that the web page has a timeout on it somewhere, but I can't see any way to adjust it.

Thanks
Russ
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I do the same, but from my Workstation, I leave HPSIM open all of the time. I do not get logged out by HPSIM and I don't know of any way to turn on such a feature, let alone turn it back off.

Typically if you lose connection you'll get a Communication Lost error, not a logged out screen.

Are there any out of hours logon restrictions within any other part of the infrastructure, I don't know what Active Directory does if you're logged on out of hours. But I'm not sure it would nicely log out HPSIM.

Again, I'm now on HPSIM 5, so cannot check, but I do not recall seeing any controls for setting hours that HPSIM can be accessed from within the product.
Jim Walsh_2
Frequent Advisor

Yeah I'm with Rob on this one. I usually run it from a TS window so it can always be running even if I need to take my laptop home and I've never experienced the logout issues. Possibly a backup or something is messing with your connection in the middle of the night?
Russ Wear
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your input guys. I tried running the window on my own PC, and left it overnight. This morning it was still running, but the PC that runs it normally was sitting at the SIM login page. There must be something on that monitoring PC that is different. Maybe I will just use it from my own PC from now on.