Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753304 Members
6207 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can i install the sim in the virtual machine of esx?

xieyinghong
Occasional Contributor

Can i install the sim in the virtual machine of esx?

From the installing guide document,i know the hardware requirement is HP,but now i want to install the sim in the virtual machine of esx,how can i do this?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just try it, create the OS and then follow the OS specific install instructions.
A note of caution, HPSIM can be quite resource hungry, it has quite a lot of associated network activity.
Also you may wish to try searching this forum, I've a feelling a similar question was asked and someone from HP commented on the support aspect.
But I had HPSIM 5 Beta running on a Virtual Windows 2003 Server under ESX 2.5 for a while.

I have run HP SIM in a vrtual machine on ESX.
The only thing that I have found so far that I can not get to work is the plug-in VMM.
It seems there are a problem managing/monitoring a host ESX from a VM on the same host. :(

Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I have the same issue SIM is running in a VM, but when I try to register a VM Host it says that it can't due to the server not being a part of the system. I am thinking it is going to be pretty common for people to be running HP SIM in a VM.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Working fine here, needs lots of CPU/RAM though.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM 5.1 will include VMware ESX guests as a supported platform. As James notes, an application like HP SIM needs a lot of resources. Use the HP SIM Sizer from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Technical Support to see the physical machine that your environment would need to be and take that into account along with the overheard of virtualization to make your decision.