7709 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can not update drivers: required hardware is not present

Yvonne Bueckert
Advisor

Can not update drivers: required hardware is not present

Hi folks,
I've seen others having this issue, but have not found a fix for mine . . . I have a DL385 G2 - Win2K3SP2, Nothing too special about this server except we uses P2P instead of doing a fresh build... I have 10 other exact same hardware - similar SW servers with no driver issue . . . This server is reporting that I have:
HP Proliant ATI RAGE XL Video Controller Driver , and HP Proliant Smart Array Device Manager Extension for Window Server taht are out of date. The version control agent is yellow flagged on these two, and the solution of deleting the "Discovery" directory did not fix it (as suggested here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01092497&dimid=1445541780&dicid=alr_jun07&jumpid=em_alerts/us/jun07/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts ) . . . I think it might have something to do with having used P2P?

Anyone else out there find any other solutions? I can't find an easy ways to un-install those drivers, and it makes the HPSIM flags pretty much a waste of time if I always have yellow flags that don't mean anything . . .
18 REPLIES 18
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't have a G2, just the G1's and the above are both valid drivers.

What happens if you try and update the driver using the VCA?
Charles McMichael
Occasional Advisor

The Proliant Support Pack 7.90A has a new version of the Version Control Agent.

The release notes for VCA version 2.1.9.790 say

"Fixed a defect where Version Control Agent (VCA) incorrectly reports an inactive or obsolete Software and Drivers that are not actually required to be installed on ProLiant Servers, causing Overall status display as yellow (Degraded)."
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I think I have seen somewhere in our forum that the new VCA does not fix this issue.
Yvonne Bueckert
Advisor

Thanks Rob and Charles. I've only had this show up since upgrading to version 7.90a of the Proliant support pack, so it's that version that actually caused this issue ..?? As for methods of install. I noticed these two flags after installing the PSP thru a scheduled job thru HPSIM, then I went and tried to install them individually thru the Version control Page on the server locally, and go the "hardware not present", so then I tried installing the drivers by finding the "cp00..." file, and executing it, but got the same "not required" response . . . How can I find out where it's getting that information - registry, an xml file..?? - and nuke it, or un-install the older versions of the drivers so they stop showing up? Any ideas? - THANKS AGAIN!
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Yvonne Bueckert
Advisor

Yes, that is describing the exact same problem - I dind't see that thread when I was searching earlier, or I would have just added onto it - but the solution given there doesn't seem to resolve it. That or it requires a reboot, which I can't do during business hours . . . As for Scott's idea to add an environment string - I assume he means in the registry under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Control\Session Manager\Environment ?? - but I'm guessing that requires a reboot. ?? so that doesn't help me just now - may try it after hours tonight. as for checking the "C:\cpqsystem\pnpdrvs" folder, that's a little tricky. In there I found a subfolder called "cpxml" that had one of the cp00nnnn.exe files listed that is causing me grief, and nuking it, and restarting the VCAgent service, and refreshing the VGAgent page doesn't seem to make a different. I extracted the drivers for the two things I'm messing with, and did a search for those files, and they do exist in the System32 folder, and in a few other places on the drive, but I'm hesitant to be nuking .dll and .sys files realted to HDD's on a server . . . it's just a think with me about not wanting to blow up production machines just so Ican feel better about yellow fingers (hee-hee). At least now I know I'm not the only one with this issue in PSP 7.90a . . .
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

We are experiencing the exact same problem with our DL385 G2 and BL465C.

P2P is definetly the cause ...we use Ghost and Sysprepped images (HP does not support ghost)but were able to recreate the problem with P2P to they would support us.

I've had a case opened for months and they still haven't found the fix. I will let you know if they find something!
Yvonne Bueckert
Advisor

Thanks - I've now got a case open with HP too. The last thing I was told was that it had been escalated, and they would let me know when they released a fix.
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

Yvonne, I forgot to tell you a workaround that is working for us but too cumbersome to count it as a viable solution...

tested with the DL385 G2 and BL465c:
* reboot your server into safe mode
* rename the c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mpad.sys to ati2mpad.sysold
* reboot.

no functionality is lost on these servers.