Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get blade to show up in SIM

KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

Can't get blade to show up in SIM

I am trying to blades from a couple of enclosures to SIM. The first blades I added were migrations from existing systems and they seemed to go OK.

I am now trying to add new VMWare systems and they don't want to go into SIM. The blades I'm trying to add are BL480c G1. They were added automatically using the rack/enclosure/blade name that is auto generated but they won't show up with their real names. The autogenerated name shows up as staus 'Diasabled' and can't be changed.

When I check using the OA, the servers are named and identified correctly. When I connect to the iLo, the names are right. I have no idea why they won't pick up as the correct name.

I have tried deleting the servers using the rack/enc/blade name and then doing a manual discovery to add the FQDN of the servers but it doesn't work. I can keep adding the same FQDN in manual discovery and it keeps accepting it. Usually if you enter the same name twice, you are told it already exists.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't get blade to show up in SIM

Have you installed the HP Agents onto the VMWare Servers?
Part of this configures SNMP and if this is configured correctly HPSIM should be able to identify the servers.
There have been similar queries regarding snmp configurations on vmware host servers - search the forum and you should see examples.

Name resolution is all done via DNS in HPSIM, you need both forward and reverse lookups to work correctly.
KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

Re: Can't get blade to show up in SIM

It was SNMP. I copied the config from a working system and restarted. The blades have now showed up in SIM under the right name.
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

Re: Can't get blade to show up in SIM

What has happened is when you discovered the OA, logical blades with status disabled are created with RackName_EnclosureName_Bay_ . These are logical representations of the blades. Now you need to install PSP on the server, Make sure SNMP service is enabled and check the option "Accept SNMP packets from all hosts" and then use its IP address to discover it in SIM. SIM will now discover the new blade and remove the old logical blade that were created during OA discovery and the new blade will be associated with its enclosure and will have proper health status.
Hope this solves .
Performance is compulsion and not an option if my existence is to be justified.