7421 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't remove disk threshold - HPSIM 5/SP5

Joshua Hirsh
Occasional Advisor

Can't remove disk threshold - HPSIM 5/SP5

Hey folks,

I've searched around, but haven't been able to find an answer. Sorry if this has already been posted.

I'm running HPSIM 5/SP5 in a Windows 2000/2003 environment. I had applied a global disk threshold level of 95% to all servers, but had to go back and remove the levels on pagefile disks. However, after removing the levels (by setting them to 0%), I now get notified every time the servers reboot as the disk usage is over 0%.

I always thought the proper way to disable the disk thresholds was to set them to 0? Is there another way to do it? All of these false notifications are filling up my inbox..

Thanks!
-Joshua
6 REPLIES 6
Ken Horn
Advisor

Re: Can't remove disk threshold - HPSIM 5/SP5

I haven't tested this but maybe try the opposite approach and set the threshholds to 100%.
tmagee
Valued Contributor

What could be occurring is the critical and threshold levels have been put back to zero but the critical and warning threshold resets are still set higher. For some odd reason (to me), the reset values don't show on the file space used window (with the disk usage and threshold triangles).

Try checking the system management homepage for the file system space used link and confirm the triangles are set as desired (some systems I have that I've not altered show triangles for 96% and 99%, though others are set for below the 5% - neither give unwanted alerts).

Change the threshold reset values using SIM, configure pull down then disk thresholds. This though, sets for all logical volumes in a system and doesn't allow a specific volume to be selected.

Joshua Hirsh
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reponses, guys.

It's impossible to set the disk thresholds to 100% (the java tool refuses this, as the valid range is supposed to be 0 to 99).

I've reset the disk thresholds before by going to Configure->Disk Thresholds->Remove all disk thresholds, and also by setting them all to 0.

Unfortunately, the alerts still come in telling me that it's passed my critical threshold of 0%.

For most servers it's not a problem, but many of our Citrix servers have a dedicated partition for swap, which is always at 99% usage.

-Joshua
tmagee
Valued Contributor

These are more just ideas to check rather than a definite fix: -

- when you set the threshold values via sim, configure thresholds etc, do you see the triangles on the unit's homepage file space used changing to the expected values?

- on my systems (sim 5 sp4 , windows 2000), the java tool does take the critical triangle to 100%). When below 5%, the disk threshold alerts should be disabled.

- management agents version 7.6 are the current level. I saw a mention in this forum about a reintroduced bug in the disk agents in v7.6 so v7.5 agents might be an initial stable step to install if you're on earlier version.

- there's the setup rules about threshold reset values to be equal or more than 2% lower than threshold values and keeping the 3% difference between critical and warning threshold values.
Joshua Hirsh
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to find some time to try out the problem with a few different PSP versions.
tmagee
Valued Contributor

Ok. This is the link I'd come across for the 7.6 agents potential bug: -

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1064860

"Subject: Insight management agents calculating Wrong disk space usage"