Dan Nichols1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Can't see any SAN in Insight?

For everyones benefit I have this working with the following configuration;

Platform - Windows 2000 SP4
Command View EVA - Version 5.0.2.4
EVA SMI-S - Version 5.0.1
HP SIM - Version 5 SP5

I have the EVA SMI-S listening on port 49589 as I also have the Emulex and Brocade SMI-S providers installed, all of which default to port 5989.

What I had to do to get this to work was;

1. Enable WBEM in HP SIM and specify the auth credentials, verified with WBEMDisco.
2. Modify the wbemportlist.xml file to reflect the ports I am using.
3. Run a discovery in HP SIM and then perform a data collection.
4. The EVA appears in SIM, and the Command View EVA server SIM properties are updated to display the WBEM devices managed through that system.

One thing WRT the SMI-S installation. When I first installed version 5.0.1 it was an upgrade from version 5. The installer removed version 5 and did not install version 5.0.1, I had to run the installer again to get it to install properly.
ClausAndersen
Advisor

I got it to work too now, but with the new software versions 6.0. Both CV EVA and SMI-S 6.0.
I'm still using HP SIM5.0 SP5, and with the SMI-S 6.0 i can do a succesfull WBEMDISCO.

I was at the HP Technology center in Houston where i talked to HP guy who's working alongside the HP SIM and HP Storage Essentiels programmers. He said that he had seen the same problem and added that sometimes it just worked and sometimes it did not. And when it didn't work he couldn't see anything wrong with the installation. He also kindof said that the programmers was focusing on the version 6.0 and it wasn't sure that version 5.* was ever going to be stable. they had a lot of problems having to restart the pegasus and sim services.

In version 6.0 of SMI-S you have to remember to add a local machine user to the pegasus db with the "cimuser.exe -a -u "

And another thing, now HP says that running HP SIM on the same server as the Storage provider is not supported. Before it was just not recommended.

HP told me you might still see some problems on this but they are working to have them solved in the 6.01 version which may come in late october - MAY ;-)
ClausAndersen
Advisor

forgot.

when i did the discovery on version 6.0 i saw my EVA's straight away. So they've improved the performance too.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Claus,
Thanks for the update. I'm trying to get hold of CV 6, there doesn't seem to be a download available.
This will make me try harder as I don't really want to keep fighting CV 5.
ClausAndersen
Advisor

Hi

Yes i got it from HP on request.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL16255/co-43018-1/

It should contain the CV EVA 6.0 version.
ClausAndersen
Advisor

The EVA sometimes goes into an unknown state. But by restarting the SMI-S service on the CV EVA server resolves this problem. HP told me that this is still a problem and my hope is that it has been resolved in 6.01.
Ed_178
Advisor

Rob, in or der to fix your service crashes (i had the exact same problem) simply edit the JVMoptions.conf file and change -Xmx1024m to -Xmx512m and restart the service and it should no longer crash.

Ed.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Ed,
Thanks but I got CV 6 a while back and it's worked without any issues.
Ed_178
Advisor

Good to hear, I was having your problems in version 6 however so to anyone else having that problem the fix is still applicable.

Ed.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Gone...