New Discussion юеВ

Can't seem to start Insight Manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adrian Soosay
Occasional Advisor

Can't seem to start Insight Manager

Dear Forumers,
I tried to access the SIM directly from the Central Management Server (since I was having problem accessing from a client PC) and there seems to be a problem. Selecting SIM from Start --> Programs --> HP Systems Insight Manager --> HP Systems Insight Manager only opens a small window that displays as "Checking HTTP Server Status" (see attachment). Would appreciate if someone could assist me on this matter. Thank You.
15 REPLIES 15
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't seem to start Insight Manager

Check the HPSIM Service is running, consider restarting it.
You don't mention any versions, you might want to add them.
Adrian Soosay
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,
I have tried re-starting the services but to no avail. Btw, the version I'm running is 5.0. Any idea?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM takes a while to get going.
You should see the mxdomainmgr process is quite active, when this finally calms down HPSIM becomes accessible.

What is the server model? Any performance constraints.

Has it ever worked?

Adrian Soosay
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,
I actually installed the HP SIM about a month ago. It was running fine until recently. I checked for the process you mention (mxdomainmgr process) and it did not exist. As for the server spec, its a low-end server (HP Proliant ML110 G3, Pentium IV 300 MHz with 1.5GB RAM) which has been setup to solely run HP SIM. Please advise. Thank You.
C0nner
Advisor

If you check your application log I think you should see an 'Event Id 3: HP Systems Insight Manager Service Started'. Do you see anything else in there hinting a problem?
tecpxg

I'm having a similar problem, I've installed HPSIM5.0SP5 and the mxdomainmgr sure enough starts to go crazing for the first few minutes but then settles down.

But after an hour or so the shortcut on the CMS becomes unavailable along with the web link, so a restart of the Insight Manager Service is required, again wait 5 minutes or so then the link is available once again.

I've also scheduled the server to reboot every 8 hours so that it stays a live through the night, using a DL380 G3 2Gb memory dual 2.8ghx processor with Hyper-threading turned on so it should be able to cope
Todd Snyder_4
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same issue. When I open the link, I get "Checking HTTP Server Status". I let it run all last night, and no connection yet.

Reading some old forum posts about this issue, I tried http://localhost:230 and :50000 and I get no answer on those ports.

This is a fresh install of SIM5.0 on an IBM e326server. It's a lightly loaded server, resources shouldn't be an issue. Running under Win2003.

I've checked and restarted the following services:

HP Performance Management Pack
HP PMP Tools
HP Systems Management Homepage
HP Systems Insight Manger
HP Version Control Repository Manager
HP Virtual Machine MAnagement Service

When I look in my event logs I see Warnings and Informations from the HP Systems Insight Manager:

Information: HP Systems Insight MAnager started
Warning: Restarting MxDomainManager

These alerts come in about once a minute.

The server has been restarted once already, and it didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We've left insight manager to the last minute and we have to do a pilot by end of week, and I want to make sure things are at least talking before our demo.

Thanks
Todd.
Todd Snyder_4
Occasional Advisor

Doing some more fiddling, I just got the following in my application log:

"mxdomainmgrcaught RMI Object has gone away, stop MxInventory, it will restart"

This occured about 20 times, and was reported by HP Systems Insight Manager

Then, about 2 seconds later I got an "information" saying that "HP Systems Insight Manager Service STarted", and again 50 seconds later I got the same information message again.

Very strange.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Todd - I don't know if you had a typo in your message but when you try to browse to HPSIM you should use http://localhost:280, not 230. Or https://localhost:50000 - not an http address.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?