108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can used VMM licenses be moved to a new HP SIM server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

Can used VMM licenses be moved to a new HP SIM server

I currently have 4 ESX hosts with VMM agents installed and licensed.We are moving HP SIM to a new server and will also use the opportunity to upgrade to HP SIM 5.3.
I assume that if I want the ESX hosts to function correctly with the new HP SIM 5.3 server, I have to unregister them with the current existing server.As I will be using the latest version of VMM I will have to remove the current VMM agents also.
I am concerned about the license.Will I be able to use the existing VMM licenses I have purchased in conjuction with my new HP SIM server.Is it as simple as copying the license keys into License Manager , installying new VMM agents and registering them with the new HP SIM server
GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."
6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: Can used VMM licenses be moved to a new HP SIM server

Looking forward to see if it's possible.

I also have 120 _unused_ ICE licences in old SIM which I want to move to a new install.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
asc_3
Frequent Advisor

hi,
That should be possible, you should be able to use the existing license in new HPSIM server to apply on VM Host.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

I don't see why not.
I actually posted on here once of how to clean out the licensing information from an existing SIM server.

When I upgraded 5.2.2 to 5.3.0, it wiped out all my VMM licenses and said none of my ESX servers were licensed...so now I have to re-deploy the agent again, I guess. I haven't done it yet, I'm waiting on the 5.3.0 bugs to get fixed.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Could You post a link to that licence wipe thread ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes you can just transfer the licenses - hopefully you've kept them.
I enter them into an XML file that can then be loaded into HPSIM (same for PMP).
This way if I lose everything it's an easy task to re-add them.
If you do build a new server then typically you will need to redeploy the licenses - just doing that at the moment as we tentatively move to HPSIM 5.3.
Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

I have successfully completed my mission.The steps I took where
1)Unregistered my ESX hosts on my old HPSIM 5.2 server.
2)Discovered my ESX hosts on new HPSIM 5.3 server.
3)Registered my ESX hosts on new HPSIM 5.3 server
4)My new server was using VMM 3.6 and the old one was using VMM 3.5.This meant I had to install the latest VMM agent on each host.
5)With licening I had a record of my VMM licenses and what server used what license.
6)I imported the licenses into License Manager on my HPSIM 5.3 server and assigned them to my ESX hosts.
7)I then ran Identify Systems on each host.
After that everything was fine.I could all my VM hosts and clients in HPSIM.
Thanks for all the replies
GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."